Priming with DME- What Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerman315

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm following a recipe from North American Clone Brews for a Sierra Nevada Porter clone, plus I added about 2 cups of cold brewed coffee before bottling.

The book's recipe said to prime with 1 cup of amber DME (same stuff as what I boiled earlier), and it said to keep the bottles at 50-55°F for three weeks to condition and carbonate.

I'm still a beginner, and this is my first time carbing with DME, but I've always waited at least 3 weeks at about 70°F. Maybe this isn't a big deal but is this a good example of when I should do my own thing and not follow the recipe? I don't want to waste good beer by pouring before it's fully carbonated.

I primed with boiled DME last week in an IPA, with bad results. Ended up with protien break floating around in my previoisly crystal clear beer.

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

I primed with boiled DME last week in an IPA, with bad results. Ended up with protien break floating around in my previoisly crystal clear beer.

ya did it wrong :mug:

I know i know! But LBHS was closed and i only had a speck of dust left in mt dextrose bin and was dying to get my beer finished. Im an impatiens SOB when it comes to my beeah cantcha tell?

It will settle, its only priming sugar. Ive seen the break sometimes too but was like ehh,it wont matter,it all settles out. I mean you get that break when your cooling your wort and that is the same thing.

Back