Priming with different yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max_the_hop

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting ready to bottle a double IPA (9% alc/v) fermented with Nottingham yeast. I am wondering if I need to add some more yeast before bottling. I dumped the yeast cake a week ago (conical). The beer was brewed about 3.5 weeks ago.

My question: Do I need to add a bit of yeast before bottling? If so, would half a packet of us-5 do the job without altering the character of my beer? I don't have any notty yeast left...

I wouldn't. Even if it were brewed 6 weeks ago you'd be fine. It will take a little longer to carb up due to ABV but that's part of it.
I wonder if adding a little Yeast Nutrient would be helpful? Anyone?

If the beer had been cold crashed and in secondary for months and months I would say yes to fresh yeast at bottling. In your situation, I don't think it is necessary. There will still be viable yeast floating around.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am wondering if I need to add some more yeast before bottling.

My question: Do I need to add a bit of yeast before bottling?

No. You don't Even if you cold crash, you don't have to add yeast, though it may take longer to bottle condition.

The only time you may want to add yeast is if you have been aging a high gravity beer for 6+ months.

If you add sugar, and there are just 1,000 viable yeast cells, they will multiply and carbonate your beer.

Back