Priming with Agave Nectar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbram

Reaction score
Recentlty brewed and Agave Lime Wheat which I will be bottling tomorrow night. Since I have leftover agave nectar, I am thinking of using it as a priming sugar as well. Any thoughts on how much I need for a 5G batch primed to maybe 2.6-2.8 vol?

Right now the brew tastes amazing. Some nice ester notes well balanced with citrus. Can't wait to get it into bottles and ready to drink!

I have been wondering the same thing.
My assumption is you simply read the ingredients label and match up the total carbohydrates. i.e. if 1 cup of corn sugar has 50 grams carbs, then you use whatever amount of agave nectar to equal 50 grams of carbs.

I use 3/4 cup of honey for a 5 gallon batch, am planning on using agave soon and from what I can find it will be the same amount.

What was your recipe? Sounds very interesting.

Sorry for the slow reply on this. Bottled last night, primed with about 3/4 cup of agave nectar. We'll see how this goes. As far as the recipe, here it is:

Grain Bill:
6# White Wheat Malt
4# Pale Malt
1/4# Flaked Barley

Single Infusion Mash 1hr @152F
Batch Sparge 10min @ 170F

1oz. Saaz @ 60min
1/2 oz. Cascade @ 5 min
1lb Blue Agave Nectar @5 min
1oz grated lime zest @ 5 min

Fermented with big starter of Safbrew S-33
Primary for 10 days @ 66F

Added 2.5 fl. oz. lime peel extract (peels of 2 large limes Soxhlet Reflux extracted into about 200mL vodka) and 3/4 cup of agave nectar to bottling bucket.

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.011
ABV (est.) 6.56
IBU: 14.8

I have no final tasting notes yet, as it just went into bottles, but I can tell you what it is like so far....

Color is about the same as Hoegarden but maybe a little darker... same tone though. Aroma is a little bit of lime but otherwise pretty clean. Flavour is pretty complex. There are some banana-ish esters when it first hits your tongue, but these are well-balanced with citrus notes and a subtle agave sharpness.The lime shines through in the finish, which is quite clean. I'm excited to taste this when it carbs up. I think it will be a pretty awesome summer beer.

Back