Priming sugar's impact on gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I recently measured the FG of a hefeweizen, and it was a decent amount higher than expected (1.016). I wanted to carbonate it pretty high as that is to style, so I used quite a bit of corn sugar for 5 gallons (7.2 ounces corn sugar).

I measured the gravity after adding the priming sugar, so my question is could that have a noticeable impact on the gravity or is it just too small of an amount to affect the large volume of beer?

I recently measured the FG of a hefeweizen, and it was a decent amount higher than expected (1.016). I wanted to carbonate it pretty high as that is to style, so I used quite a bit of corn sugar for 5 gallons (7.2 ounces corn sugar).

I measured the gravity after adding the priming sugar, so my question is could that have a noticeable impact on the gravity or is it just too small of an amount to affect the large volume of beer?

I always keg and never bottle Hefe's, but I typically end up around 1.010 as a rule. I would certainly think that adding close to half pound of sugar would account for that difference. Once it carbs in the bottle, your finished and carbed beer will probably be 1.010.

I'm not sure what your FG target is, but corn sugar is 37 points per pound per gallon (PPG), so 7.2oz in your 5gal batch it's a bit over 3 points. I was an English major, so no guarantees on the math :D

As alex said, the corn sugar would add about .003 to the beer. That means your beer was 1.013 (assuming the priming sugar was fully mixed).

7.2 ozs is quite a lot for priming. Will get you to about 3.5 volumes of CO2. Hope the beer was fully finished, otherwise it could be a problem. Bottles should be Ok with 3.5 volumes, but much more would be risky.

Soooooo... I brewed this beer to serve at my sister's wedding. As for the the bottle bomb discussion, I'd prefer to avoid killing anyone with a beer grenade. The wedding is 3 weeks from when I bottled. I was planning on dropping the temp in my fermentation chamber (that's where they are residing now at 72 degrees) the Wednesday before the Saturday wedding and let them sit at 35 or so for a couple days. At the wedding, they'll be served from a cooler (poured into glasses).

I just put one in the fridge to try it this weekend (the wedding is next weekend).

I know you may recommend that I go back in time and reduce the priming sugar, but aside from that does my plan sound solid?

What was your OG?

If they're going to gush or explode you should know within 2 weeks. Check at least one before you serve.

This will also allow you to verify the product is of sufficient quality. In my experience there is an overwhelming perception out there that home brewed beer isn't very good. Don't serve it to a crowd if it's not good.

OG was 1.048.

I'll definitely have a couple for quality control, but I've been happy with the beer I've brewed so I'm reasonably confident it'll be tasty. Never done a hefeweizen, though.

Good thing about a Hefe is they don't require much aging to be perfectly drinkable. I usually plan on 4 weeks grain to glass when it comes of age. 1.048 and after you carb and ferment out your additional priming sugar, you will have a delicious beer to be proud of at your sister's wedding.

I always keg and never bottle Hefe's, but I typically end up around 1.010 as a rule. I would certainly think that adding close to half pound of sugar would account for that difference. Once it carbs in the bottle, your finished and carbed beer will probably be 1.010.

I'm so glad I read this . My Hef ended up 1.010 and I thought I had done something wrong.

I'm so glad I read this . My Hef ended up 1.010 and I thought I had done something wrong.

I use the same Hefe recipe, same yeast, same temp for fermentation....and I could bank my paycheck on 1.010. This gravity gives you a somewhat dry profile, yet a very tiny hint of sweetness and a delicate mouthfeel. (When you hear efficiency % discussions, consistency is what we are all looking for - repeatability)

Other beers I make, 1.006 is quite dry with thin mouthfeel and body, and a milk stout at 1.022 is really "rich" and quite a bit of residual sweetness for a chewy, thick mouthfeel.

I think your 1.010 Hefe is right in the perfect zone!

Just to follow up... Served the hefeweizen yesterday at my sister's wedding. Rave reviews. From a taste perspective, I'd keep the carbonation the same. But the threat of bottle bombs still concerns me.

Back