priming sugar?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkintimmy

Reaction score
hey im sorta new to this but when u bottle beer is there any way to not have priming sugar or any crap in the bottom of the bottle so u can drink it from the bottle and not a glass

Not if you are bottle conditiong beers with priming sugar. Any bottle conditioned beer will have sediment. It's a natural byprodcut of living beers. You add sugar to yeast in a bottle to make the beer carb, you will have sediment. Even in many commercial microbrews. That's how we harvest the yeast.

No good beer, micro or homebrew should be drunk out of the bottle. We're not talking little flavored pizzwater here like bud light. Good beer has flavor and aroma that can't be truly appreciated coming out of a nickle sized hole.

Do yourself a favor and pour your good beer in a glass heck, even a plastic cup is better than drinking it out of the bottle. And do it right and leave the sediment behind by pouring to the shoulder.

But some tips. I find that leaving my beers in primary for a months helps to have less sediment in the bottles. Since I have a tight yeastcake, I can pretty much vacuum the beer off of it, and therefore there is only the barest minimum transfered to the bottling bucket needed to carb the beer. In fact I actually rub my autosiphon across the bottom once to make sure I have plenty to do the job. Because of this, I tend to get 48 to 54 bottles from a batch. And only a tiny bit of sediment.

Additionally, the longer you chill the beer in the fridge, the tighter the yeast cake. I had a beer in the back of my fridge for 3 months, that I could completely upend and no yeast came out. Longer in the cold the tighter the yeast cake becomes. Even just chilling for a week (besides getting rid of chill haze) will go to great lengths to allow you to leave the yeast behind, but with only a minimum amount of beer.

Bottom line though, great beers often have yeast in the bottle, because they are bottle conditioned. They are alive rather than those pasturiezed and filtered "dead beers" like Bud, Miller Coors.

So rather than hating it, learn to embrace it.

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
yea its just hard wen ur out or theres no cups around i dont drink junk beers like bud i drink alot of magic hat well i used to till i started my own beer but thanks for the info it was very helpful

yea its just hard wen ur out or theres no cups around i dont drink junk beers like bud i drink alot of magic hat well i used to till i started my own beer but thanks for the info it was very helpful

Well I manage to make sure I have cups wherever my homebrew is, even if I bring them myself. Hell I have a stack of plastic in my car for just in case.

To add to Revvy's statement, pouring into a glass is an art/science all to itself. Different beer styles have different shaped glasses to bring out that style's own distinctive aroma and taste. Also, hefeweiser style has a particular shaped glass where one should lightly rinse with cold water THEN gently pour the hefeweizer.

Back