Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it will. Did you just pop it into individual bottles or into your bottling bucket? You really only boil to make sure all the sugar is dissolved and then sanitized (hence the boiling). Did you stir it in well?

it will carb, the only possible problem is that it could have bacteria that would ruin a batch... boiling is to sanitize it... just pray you don't make the batch go bad... . Likely, though, the yeast will be fine to eat the sugar and kill anything else.

I added it to the bucket, and I did mix it really good. I put a bottle of American Ale (this batch), in the fridge a week ago. Opened it tonight and there is not much carbonation. so I don't know if it is from the sugar issue, or cold crashing it.

If you mixed it real good then it should carbonate. As long as it dissolves and is mixed around then it will do just fine. The boiling does two things, sanitizes and makes it a lot easier to mix into your beer.

I tried individually priming a one gallon batch of pumpkin ale once, and they didnt come through. I completeley forgot about priming until they were already into the bottles, so i sprinkled a small amount into each one, and swirled it around, but no carbonation even after 5 weeks. I think its because I didnt mix it well enough though.

How much did you sprinkle in?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you want about 3/4 teaspoon in each bottle (assuming you bottle 5 oz dextrose into 48 bottles)
If you do it this way, then that would give you a great chance to test different levels of carbonation and what you like best for your style

I added it to the bucket, and I did mix it really good. I put a bottle of American Ale (this batch), in the fridge a week ago. Opened it tonight and there is not much carbonation. so I don't know if it is from the sugar issue, or cold crashing it.

You have potential for 1/3rd to 1/2 bottle bombs/overly carbonated beer and 1/2 to 2/3rds non/extremely lightly carbonated beer.

You should wait 2-3 weeks at least to check the carbonation. One week is not going to be long enough.

Back