Priming sugar.... volume vs. Weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
So I just went to Walmart and picked up a relatively cheap $30 digital scale. I was interested to see what my current measuring cups ended up being when actually weighed. I used corn sugar for the test. My results were very repeatable with the same measuring cups. Here are the results using my 1/4 cup measuring cup. Every time I filled up the cup I tool a straight edge to trim off the extra sugar.

1/4 cup= 1.4 oz
1/2 cup= 2.8 oz
3/4 cup= 4.2 oz
1 cup = 5.6 oz

1 TBS= .3 oz

It seems I have been under carbing my beer a bit as I was under the assumption that 3/4 cup was closer to 5 oz.

Also I measured 2 separate 1 cup containers and the results were shocking. My first cup measured 5.65 oz and my other measured 5.35 oz. That could be the difference in your desired carb level. I guess it is worth it to pick up a scale.

I mainly got it so I can know exactly how many volumes of co2 I will be creating as I am wanting more carbonation from my beers. I really think for me 3 volumes will be the ticket. I want that sparkling bite.

Back