priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBORN

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this world of home brewing and had a general question about a step I skipped on bottling day. Perhaps someone can shed some light on what the likely implications will be.

Last Friday I bottled my third batch, an American IPA. I boiled two cups of water, stirred in the sugar for five minutes, and poured it into the bottling bucket. I then proceeded to siphon the beer from the carboy into the bottling bucket. I forgot, however, to stir it all together and actually bottled five or six beers, including a 64 ounce growler, before I realized my mistake. The guys from my local home brew shop said I might be alright since I siphoned in the beer after the sugar water was already in the bucket...that the act of siphoning in the beer likely self mixed it enough.

My question: has anyone else made this mistake and do you think it might still work out alright?

Thanks,
Andrew

This is my regular bottling technique - no problems.

However, you should be careful bottling in growlers - they are not designed to handle pressure and could burst on you.

It's not a mistake! Racking onto your priming solution is more than sufficient to evenly mix your sugar - it's the only way I've done it. If you mix it up after racking you are risking oxidation.

Oh and watch that growler - they aren't designed to hold that much pressure. Just keep it in a box with a towel on top.

Latest posts

Back