Priming Sugar Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Is there much of a difference in head texture in beers primed with corn sugar, DME, or table sugar. I am looking for small bubbles and a really thick foamy head like a hand pulled English ale with the shower head attachment thing on. Like a Kilkenny or Guinness that's carbed with nitro. I know without nitro I won't get that exact creamy head but was wondering if on of the three lean more towards that style.

Theres no difference on what priming sugar you use as long as its an equivalent amount. The "bubble size" will be the same across the board because the yeast produces the same gas (CO2) which carbs it. Anything you bottle carb will have the same gas. You can only use nitrogen to carb with a kegging system

I knew the nitro was only for legging just wasn't sure if there was a difference in the 3 sugars. Why would one choose to carb with DME? I know here it's quite a bit more money then sugar so why would you not just use sugar. Also a clone book I have has some recipes with corn sugar some with DME which lead me to think it may make a difference. Unless it's just easier for the yeast to convert.

From what I understand, cane/beet sugar is easiest to convert, corn sugar only slighter more difficult, and DME can be somewhat difficult. I hear it takes the longest to carb up, but some who use it swear by it.

Give it a shot & see! Make one batch and use sugar to carb half of it and DME for the other half.

I can attest that I have used table sugar & carb-drops in the same batch (the drops have some wheat in them as well as being a dextrose/sucrose mix) and couldn't tell any difference.

Cane, beet, and corn sugars all turn out identical, although you do need to use slightly less cane or beet sugar than corn sugar, about 90% as much. I haven't tried other sugars but don't think they make a difference in head quality either. I always use cane or beet for everything because it's cheap. As m00ps said, if you want nitro, you need to use nitro. You can't get that from CO2.

If you still want creamier head, you can also try adding some rye or flaked barley to your recipe. And be sure to use clean rinsed glassware when you pour.

Or just make sure the grains you're using have a good amount of proteins. So even if you use a clearing agent, it'll still get good head. It also depends on the amount of carbonation (Volumes of Co2), And getting it in the fridge for at least 5-7 days. Some are better at two weeks fridge time, maybe more with others. Lacking these things, a 1/2lb of carapils will do it as well.

Cane, beet, and corn sugars all turn out identical, although you do need to use slightly less cane or beet sugar than corn sugar, about 90% as much. I haven't tried other sugars but don't think they make a difference in head quality either. I always use cane or beet for everything because it's cheap. As m00ps said, if you want nitro, you need to use nitro. You can't get that from CO2.

If you still want creamier head, you can also try adding some rye or flaked barley to your recipe. And be sure to use clean rinsed glassware when you pour.

What would a good amount of rye/flaked barley be. I want to try it with my next batch. I am really looking for that creamy head. Unfortunately I don't have a kegging system so that's why I'm asking what the best priming method would be. Will these alter the flavor at all or will it be minor to get the creamier head I am after?

What would be a good amount rye or flaked barley to add to a 5g mash. I don't have a kegging system so I can't keg with beer mix so that's why I am looking for a bottling means to a creamy head. Will the rye/flaked barley alter my flavor much?

The post so nice, you wrote it with slightly different words twice!

About 10% of the grist is good. You won't be able to taste them in the flavor at all at that percentage, but you'll get very creamy head, no doubt.

Sorry it said the one didn't post. Not sure what was going on with it. Timed me out 3 times didn't show up and now I see both showed up. Oops. Thanks for the help though.

Back