Priming sugar not all disolved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nm_johnson

Reaction score
This has never happened to me before, but I guess I didn't stir enough after I added my priming sugar this batch. When I was done bottling, I noticed there there a big glob of sugar sitting on the bottom. It wasn't a LOT, probably 25% of the total added.

My question is when I noticed there, was there anything I should have done or am I SOL? My assumption is I will have an under carbonated beer, no?

The carbonation level will def be lower than expected. Next time,don't ad the sugar directly to the bottling bucket.
Boil 2C of water in a small sauce pan for a few minutes. Then remove from heat & stir in the sugar till the water looks clear again. cover & cool a bit before adding to rising column of beer racking into the bottling bucket. A few gentle stirs with a sanitised spoon or paddle will help ensure even distribution of the priming solution.
Here's a handy calculator to figure how much sugar to promie to style by weight,not volume; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I can't think of anything you could have done at that point.

However, I think there is a better method of adding the priming sugar. I dissolve mine completely in a cup or so of water while heating the water up to boiling. Then I pour it into the bottling bucket before siphoning the beer into it. In my experience the swirling from the siphoning mixes it enough.

Back