Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjramm

Reaction score
I got a Brewer's best kit (5 gallon batch) and started brewing. I lost some of the wort during transfer to the carboy and then lost even more moving it into my bottling bucket. I added in the priming sugar mix and then the wort on top of that. When the mix was complete is was about 3.5 - 4 gallons in the bucket. Is this within the range where I could probably see a lot of overcarb and bombs? I didn't change the amount priming sugar because I added that first. Is there anything I can do if I already went ahead and bottled everything? If you see you may have too much priming sugar, can you leave more or less headspace to compensate.

Thanks

If you bottled them already,not much can be done. Keep'em in a tupperware tub or the like so no one gets hurt if they do blow. As long as the beer was at a stable FG,they may be ok. Wheat ales see high carbonation of 3 or more,so that's why I think they might be ok. Fridge them after 4 weeks or so for at least a week to gwet that co2 into solution. The more gas is left in the head space,the more foam over you'll likely get.

Back