Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nannerfox

Reaction score
Hey all- first batch of cider here. Started small with a 1 gallon batch, added a few cups of brown sugar to boost the content. Its all done fermented, racked, clarified, and i just bottled it 36 hours ago using 10 ounces of apple juice to prime for carbonation.

Just for the math here:
1 gallon of product
10 oz apple juice to carbonate containing
39 grams of sugar or roughly 1.375 ounces

i bottled into small 187 ml bottles so i can distribute to my friends as samples and kickstart my brewing. My question is, I believe i've done the math right and should be good for carbonation. I have a single PET bottle that i'm using as my pressurization gauge as well. It's starting to get firm, but i'm not sure if i should pasteurize or cold crash to stop carbonation, or the amount of sugar I have will stall out. I know its a bit high, and i'll probably have some gushers in the end, but I just needed some opinions on if I should stop carbonation or just let it ride and possibly risk bottle bombs?

Again, I believe i've done my math right and Think i'm safe, just needed a second opinion.

if you have any concern that it is over-carbonated, do not pasteurize it - or release some of the pressure and recap before pasteurizing.

Back