Priming fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomerwt

Reaction score
Hello!

A friend of ours who also recently started homebrewing, bottled an i.p.a. 2 weeks ago, but somehow he didn't get the measurements right and added too much priming sugar to the bottles. Now when he cracks open a bottle, the cap shoots off like a rocket with a huge bang. Although none of the bottles have actually exploded, this doesn't seem right. He added about twice as much priming sugar as needed.

-Is there a big chance they will explode soon?
-If not, will the overflow of carbonation mellow out over time, or is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

There is the chance that they will become bottle bombs. But that depends on how over carbed they are.

From everything I have read gushers will stay that way to the very end and not get better.
Chilling will help it a little bit. But if it is way over carbonated it will only make it gush slower, but it will still gush the same amount.
Some people have had success with just barely opening it and bleeding off the excess co2 and then recapping them.

never had any luck with bombs. Careful with these, I have had some close calls - keep face away from bottles.
Tried bleeding off pressure slowly but it "boils" so hard you get the sediment off the bottom mixing all thru it again.
Suspect something else is wrong beside just too much sugar - how is the taste?

just killing time here. The new neighbors have 3 little kids and they have challenged me to a water fight in the back yard. I'm just writing til the kettle boils.

it's joke son, lighten up.

Latest posts

Back