Priming Calculator Error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singletrack

Because it's judgement that defeats us.
Reaction score
Most priming calculators seem to calculate the amount of corn sugar required based on the assumption that we are priming with pure glucose corn sugar. I think most of the corn sugar we buy is actually glucose monohydrate. If I'm correct about this, then we should be adding 10% more corn sugar (by weight) than most calculators say.

One of the few calculators to get it right (I think) is Brewer's Friend here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Can anyone confirm? Why aren't brewers marching in the streets to protest these outrageous false calculators?

Idk, but dextrose has always worked fine for me with the calculators I use (NB's & Tastybrew's). You also have to understand the carbonation levels of the actual style. I think it does take some practice to get right just the same.

Idk, but dextrose has always worked fine for me with the calculators I use (NB's & Tastybrew's). You also have to understand the carbonation levels of the actual style. I think it does take some practice to get right just the same.

Agree, but It might take LESS practice to get it right, if the calculators actually calculated the correct value. I'm headed to the streets now. Look for me on the news.

Latest posts

Back