Priming calculator accuracy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals I was wondering how accurate the online priming calcs are. Some are temp and volume but others are style. Is there anything to say one is better than the other.

Searched online but the only thing that comes up are the different calcs. Just want to see if there are some other opinions out there.

I just did a Belgian and thought I wanted 2.25 "parts" in carbonation but as I drink the first one its under carbed. It's carbed but it's under for sure.

So I go online and to the style calc and find that I'm supposed to have at least 3.30 "parts" of carb.

Ugh, so hear I am asking about the calcs. What do you all use? Is there and app or do you all just go online.

Thx for all your time.

So you mean that if the range is 2.2 - 2.8 you'll add the proper amount to equal 2.8? But if it's over 3.0 you shoot for the middle?

That's good info. My Belgian tastes pretty good but bummed that I under carbed it.

Pretty much, i don't like undercarbed beer, so at lower styles i prefer the upper limit.

At higher ones, i don't want to overdo it either.

Do you use corn sugar? Most calculators are off for corn sugar, and rioting may be the only way to achieve change. (Peaceful rioting, please.)

Search for my thread on this topic. I know a link would be helpful, but I'm busy marching in the streets.

Anyhow, Brewers Friend got it right, so use that. Careful over 3 volumes, because some bottles can't handle more than that, they say. But who are "they" anyway, and why should we listen to them?

Good luck!

Ya I use dex to prime with. When you're done marching post the link. No worries tho. Just wish the web sites were the same. They are all different.

Back