Priming/Bottling Questing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pers

Reaction score
I just transferred to my bottling bucket that had the priming sugar already in the bottom of it. I siphoned in a little too much hop residue from my dry hopping pellets.

How long can I wait to actually bottle? I was hoping some of the residue might drop to the bottom of the bottling bucket if I could wait a little while.

If I can't really wait, will most of the residue sink to the bottom of the bottle during conditioning?

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't wait very long. The extra sugar you put into the brew is going to fire up the yeasties again and fermentation will start. I would just go ahead and bottle it up. The hop particles will settle out, especially after you chill them for a while.

+1^

Make sure to give it a thorough but gentle stir to mix the priming sugar into the beer, without introducing a lot of air into it.

the debris will drop out in the bottle with the yeast. a slow smooth pour will leave the sediment in the bottle.

Thanks everyone. Started bottling right after the first reply. The first and last bottle were filled with residue but everything in between seemed pretty good.

Hopefully you did the gentle stir as another poster mentioned. I didn't do that on my very first batch - the result: bottle bombs for about the first six bottles that I filled, then the next several decent carbonation levels, and the last ones filled had almost no carbonation. I didn't have even mixing of the priming sugar.

Hopefully you did the gentle stir as another poster mentioned. I didn't do that on my very first batch - the result: bottle bombs for about the first six bottles that I filled, then the next several decent carbonation levels, and the last ones filled had almost no carbonation. I didn't have even mixing of the priming sugar.

Yes, I actually had done the gentle stir right after I did the transfer.

Back