Priming an Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sucram

Reaction score
A friend and I are preparing to brew a huge imperial stout (about 26 degrees plato) patterned after Rogue's imperial stout and the Abyss. I want to avoid some of the pitfalls of my earlier high-gravity brews, mostly with regards to priming.
The alcohol content should be around 10 or 11 abv, so how do I make sure there is enough healthy yeast in the bottles for proper carbonation? Also, since the finishing gravity for a beer like this could all over the place, how do I decide how much sugar to use for priming to avoid undercarbonation and bottle bombs?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

look up high gravity priming, find a good sugar... then FALLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS... I can not stress that... the best way to avoid problems is to work off the experience of others... Now i dont know much about priming beer and i am not going to assume its the same as priming cider but i do know that most brews keep enough healthy yeast in them and that isnt the problem when it come to priming, its actully getting it down so you dont have too much... other then that reseach and experiment... so brew a double batch with one starting before the other by about two weeks so you know how to fix it when the next 5 gallons comes ready then there you go... No specific knowlege but the best advice i got

Cheers

Assuming it ferments fully and the yeast attain proper attenuation, the FG shouldn't cause you to worry about bottle bombs. Again, assuming the fermentation is full and attenuation is in the proper range, if the sugar isn't fermented during primary fermentation, it won't be fermented during bottle conditioning. I would add enough priming sugar to make 2 volumes of CO2 and call it good.

2 volumes of CO2? I'm never heard that terminology before? What does that mean? Also, I'm trying to get a better idea of what full attenuation on a beer this big would be? With most other beers I would feel comfortable knowing when the beer had reached full attenuation, however in this case I don't.

Back