Priming 5 gallons of Ed's Apfelwein with 1g Juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugu

Reaction score
Yup I'm new! Anyways, I tried searching around for anyone that's made comment on it but couldn't find anything.

Will it bottle bomb?

My hopes are it'd work as a primer and possibly sweeten it some (and maybe cut the alchohol down, next batch will probably cut the corn sugar since I'm not a fan of ABV > 5%)

If it will result in bombs, also thinking of dumping another gallon in (used a 6.5g carboy and wasn't thinking when I only filled it to 5g) just don't like opening it up.

(....PS thanks HBT, I didn't try to fish the first sanitized stopper out thanks to you all...other posts convinced me I wouldn't need a hammer.)

doing some quick math, one gallon of apple juice added to 5 gallons of finished cider should result in a gravity jump of around 8.3 points (granded that standard apple juice is 1.050), assuming that the wine ended at 1.000 that would put the SG at 1.0083. IIRC, 2-3 points should be added in order to carbonate properly, so adding in a gallon would be too much and would risk bottle bombs. I'd think more of a 1/3 of a gallon would be about right for this, leaving you with some well carbonated cider.

YMMV. HAND.

Use 1/3 of a gallon if you want to prime 5 gallons of apfelwein with straight juice.

Using a full gallon will create apfelgrenades.

Just remember what scinerd said... the apple juice will be fermenting as well. This will work just fine if you're looking for carbonation in your bottles, but if you're also looking for more sweetness, you're going to need to get a non-fermentable sweetener such as lactose or even Splenda.

Using a full gallon will create apfelgrenades.

First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Apfel Grenade of EdWort towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

:tank:

Hey guys, fun question. I used 1/3 of a gallon... of concentrate. This in five gallons of apfelwein. Apfelgrenades?

1. In a near ambush (within hand grenade range):
a. Depending on terrain, soldiers in the kill zone carry out one of the following two actions:
(1) SEE the enemy with AN/PVS-7B and return fire immediately using the AN/PAQ-4. If cover is not available, immediately, without order or signal, assume the prone position, and throw fragmentation, concussion, and smoke grenades.
(2) SEE the enemy with AN/PVS-7B and return fire immediately using the AN/PAQ-4. If cover is available, without order or signal, seek the nearest covered position, and throw concussion or fragmentation and smoke grenades.

b. Immediately after the grenades detonate, soldiers in the kill zone return fire and assault through the ambush position using fire and movement.

c. Soldiers not in the kill zone immediately:
(1) Identify enemy positions by looking through their AN/PVS-7B for muzzle flashes.
(2) Initiate accurate suppressive fires against the enemy. Leaders use AN/PAQ-4 and hand-held laser pointers to control fires and assign targets.
(3) Under the control of the squad leader, soldiers shift fires as the soldiers in the kill zone begin to assault through the ambush.

d. Soldiers in the kill zone continue the assault to eliminate the ambush or until contact is broken.

e. The platoon/squad conducts consolidation and reorganization.

2. In a far ambush (beyond hand grenade range):
a. Soldiers receiving fire immediately return fire, take up a covered position and suppress the enemy by:
(1) Destroying or suppressing enemy crew-served weapons. Squad lead use their hand-held laser pointer to designate the enemy's crew-served positions.
(2) Sustaining suppressive fires.

b. Soldiers/squads not receiving fires move by a covered and concealed route to a vulnerable flank of the enemy position and assault using fire and movement techniques.

c. Soldiers in the kill zone continue suppressive fires. Leaders continue to identify the engagement area by using hand-held laser pointers, and ground illumination flares. The team or squad leader in the kill zone identifies the flank elements and leaders of the assaulting force get within the minimum safe distance of the surface danger area. The squad leader orders his squad to shift fires as the assaulting squad fights through the enemy position.

...I smell sarcasm, with a possible answer of "yes." Perhaps I should pop some grolsch caps to ease pressure...

Yeah. I didn't mean to be a prick. I was just sampling some finished product and was trying to be funny.

If my math is correct, you added about 4 times the sugar you should have. That is a ****-ton of fermentables to be trapped in a 16 oz bottle. I don't think just trying to releive the pressure with the cap is the best idea. Grolsh bottles aren't cheap and broken glass is a PITA at best.

If it were me, I'd either syphon it all back into a fermenter, or fit all of the bottles with airlocks. Actually, balloons fitted to the necks of the open bottles might be the easiest solution.

Either way, I'd let the stuff ferment dry again and then add coopers tabs to the bottles to reprime.

If you leave it in the bottles with airlocks or balloons, you will have extra sediment in the bottles, but it avoids the oxidation risk and labor of syphoning back into a carboy.

Well, mine is lightly carbed (right now), mildly sweet with a nice finish, and a much stronger apple taste. I just have to worry about my bottles exploding (right now, I'm working on drinking them before that would be a problem :) ).

.... (right now, I'm working on drinking them before that would be a problem :) ).

Now that's a solution! :mug:

FWIW, I've been using juice to carb for a while now. It's easy and gives very consistent results. I've been using a little extra sugar when I start batches to make up for the dilution caused by bottling with juice.

I've been using a little extra sugar when I start batches to make up for the dilution caused by bottling with juice.

Considering the juice has sugars in it, and is only being added in a 1:15 ratio, assuming you're priming with 1/3 gallon per 5 gallon batch, You wouldn't really be diluting it would you? I would think you'd only get dilution from non-fermentable liquid like water. What you're doing is the equivalent of adding more wort to a beer. It will simply ferment out and give you a larger, similar batch.

edit: technically, I guess it depends how much adjunct sugar your recipe calls for up front in addition to the juice. . .

Considering the juice has sugars in it, and is only being added in a 1:15 ratio, assuming you're priming with 1/3 gallon per 5 gallon batch, You wouldn't really be diluting it would you? I would think you'd only get dilution from non-fermentable liquid like water. What you're doing is the equivalent of adding more wort to a beer. It will simply ferment out and give you a larger, similar batch.

edit: technically, I guess it depends how much adjunct sugar your recipe calls for up front in addition to the juice. . .

I'm not really an expert on this stuff. I just like making my own booze and I fell in love with apfelwein. I used to use 4 cups of sugar in a 5 gallon batch measured level. Now I use 4 cups measured rounded (maybe "heaping" is the correct terminology).

I don't really get overly precise or scientific with my hooch. Occassionally I'll dump an extra cup into a batch so I have some "high test" should the mood strike me. :ban: :drunk:

i have some apfelwein that I want to carb up. I don't want to carb the whole batch so I want to just add sugar to the bottles. How much sugar should I add per 12oz bottle?

i have some apfelwein that I want to carb up. I don't want to carb the whole batch so I want to just add sugar to the bottles. How much sugar should I add per 12oz bottle?

1 oz sugar per gallon to prime ...

1 gallon = 128 fl oz ....

so ...

approx 1/10th of an oz of sugar per 12 fl oz bottle.

Personally, I'd use coopers tabs rather than try measuring 1/10th oz.

My rule of thumb is 1/2 teaspoon for small bottle and 1 teaspoon for large bottles. I'm not familiar with your fl.oz. measurement but i think 12 fl.oz is a small bottle. (we call them stubbies.)
It works out ok.

I'd say take out want you don't want carbed, then add the necessary amount of sugar to carb the rest. Sounds easier than measuring out pet bottle.

I've been searching for a while trying to find out how much juice to use to carb up my apfelwein, so lets bump this one up from the depths with another question.
I did two one gallon batches (one juice/one cider) to test this out with, and really want to carb it with more juice/cider. The suggestion up top was 1/3 of a gallon for a 5 gallon batch. If I'm doing the math right, I would be at about 9 oz of juice for my one gallon batch?
Is there a way to figure out the sugar content of the juice/cider I used to adjust that amount or figure out how many volumes of CO2 I'm carbing at, ETC?
Or am I making this far more complicated than it should be?

Back