Prime time first time - pls help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

So the time hath come to prime and bottle my first all grain beer. :ban:
I've bought some Brewing Sugar (Dextrose) and I just need some help in understanding how much to add due to conflicting advice. :confused:

Beer units: 5 litres (mini batch)
Beer temp: 63C

The beer is an IPA. I've been quote anywhere between 18g and 28g and I'd ideally like to avoid explode-athon! :drunk:

Thanks all

The more priming sugar you add, the more carbonation you wind up with. Just be careful not to go too high. 3-3.5 Volumes of Co2 is about max for the average glass bottle.

Thanks mate - great tip.

Just for my own curiosity, what happens if I go slightly higher, does that mean more carbonation?

Yep, it will be just more carbonated if you add more than suggested. Of course, there's a point where it could get to be too carbonated if you add too much priming sugar. You can play around with the desired volume of CO2 box to see how much of a difference an increase would make. For example, 2.6 volumes of CO2 would need 33g of sugar, where 2.4 volumes for an IPA would need 29g.

Back