Primary to Secondary is it time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can always wait a few extra days to rack. I've gotten into a mode lately where I just say, "Can I see any airlock activity over the course of a couple minutes?" If yes, wait. If no, rack.

I agree. Wait at least a week before transfering it to the secondary. I go by one bubble every 90 seconds although 3 of my 4 have been done bubbling long before 7 days was up. Just try to be patient.

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
thanks. I was just trying to hurry a little so I could get another one in the primary. It is best to wait.

If you need your primary, you can safely rack it. There will be enough yeast suspended to finish the job, and 1 bpm is not much remaining activity either.

Kai

did the krausen fall? If yes, rack away. I'm a fan of waiting for this to occur as opposed to counting bubbles over a minute but usually either is a signal to rack.

I just sometimes get an airlock burping at me every 30 seconds even though the krausen has fallen and when I hydro test it was done anyways. Suspect CO2 discharge from the trub (my opinion) as once its in the secondary it bubbles much less frequently.

Latest posts

Back