Primary to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bass2187

Reaction score
Can you go from primary fermentation straight to bottling when making mead? I myself dont know anything about mead but my friend "thinks" he does without doing the research.

So please, explain.

Thanks,
Mike

How long has it been in the primary? What's the gravity?

If it's been in the primary for a few day or weeks, then NO don't do it. If it's been in a primary for 6 months, then yes you probably can bottle.

(sorry for the slight hijack)

Wouldn't a high level of sediment be a problem with bottling from the primary?

Even my melomel tertiary still has an inch or two of undesirables in it. If I wait another couple of months to bottle wont moving the carboy to a higher place (counter, laundry machine, whatever) for bottling disrupt the last several months of clearing/fining? How long, regardless of primary/secondary/tertiary, should a carboy sit after last being moved?

Wouldn't a high level of sediment be a problem with bottling from the primary?

Even my melomel tertiary still has an inch or two of undesirables in it. If I wait another couple of months to bottle wont moving the carboy to a higher place (counter, laundry machine, whatever) for bottling disrupt the last several months of clearing/fining? How long, regardless of primary/secondary/tertiary, should a carboy sit after last being moved?

Yes, if you don't want sediment in your bottles, you should wait until the mead stops throwing lees.

I rack whenever I have lees 1/4 inch thick, and only place the carboy a few hours before racking. You'll get any light lees that resettle out with the next racking. If you have an inch or two of lees, it's past time to rack, in my opinion.

sorry i have a question along the same lines
would you rack a secondary with a fruit addition thats only been goin about ten days if it had an inch of lees?

I would not.
Mead is somewhat hard to ferment, and it likes to have a good solid army of Friends to help. Leave it in Primary even with the fruit and such...for a month...or longer...until the ferment has stopped. (Gravity Reading) then rack to secondary. If you take it off of the healthy yeast too soon, it's likely to stunt the ferment and stress the yeast a bit which can cause off flavors.

How long has it been in the primary? What's the gravity?

If it's been in the primary for a few day or weeks, then NO don't do it. If it's been in a primary for 6 months, then yes you probably can bottle.

I should have been more specific. My friend has not started brewing at all.

Also, what are lees which people keep talking about?

Mike

'lees' is the layer of sediment in the bottom that starts forming during fermentation.

i think its only called 'lees' in mead and winemaking...in beer making we just call it 'the yeast cake'.

Definitely let primary fermentation reach the terminal gravity before racking to secondary, even if secondary will include fruit. Taking actively fermenting mead off the lees is a great way to stall it, or get a totally stuck fermentation.

Back