Primary samples watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwalt

Reaction score
I've brewed a batch of California Common (Anchor Steam clone) that I purchaed from Midwest Brewing using the California Lager Wyeast Activator 2112. (Kit details here) I took an initial gravity reading once my wort had cooled, which I think was a mistake. The sample had seperated into three distinct layers. The reading was 1.072. Which cannot be right.

Some details:
aerated by shaking for 5 minutes (I was sore the next day, sad)
poured liquid yeast directly into cooled wort
fermented on a towel in plastic in my garage which averages 60 +/- 2 degrees
followed the directions to a T...

I took a gravity reading on Saturday which read: 1.016 and I took another today, Tuesday, which read: 1.015. It has been in the primary since Saturday 11-15-08.

My samples both tasted okay, but were not full tasting and had a weak watery taste. The color is good and clear but weak. I am trying to decide where to go from here.

A) Add more yeast?
B) Shake it before I leave for thanksgiving?
C) transfer to the primary since I'll be gone until Sunday
D) drink it all before I leave to teach it a lesson... no weakness in my house!!
E) ________________

Thanks ahead of time for dealing with my noobiness! :)

F) Leave it alone for the next two - three weeks, then bottle.
(and above all, don't shake!)

Uncarbonated, green beer cannot be judged. If after it's bottled, carbonated, and aged, then you can decide if it's so so or good.

A. It doesn't sound like you need more yeast
B. Don't shake it - introducting oxygen after fermentation has started can lead to oxidation, which is not good.
C. Isn't it already in primary? Primary is the first fermentation vessel
D. RDWHAHB

It sounds like it's coming along fine. I would leave it right where it's at for another week at least. Many of my samples tasted watery, it's kind of normal for immature beer that isn't carbonated.

Once you get back, if the SG has stabilized go ahead and rack it into secondary if you plan to. Otherwise, give it another week after that and you should be good to prime and bottle.

F)

Stepaway_copy.jpg
/img]

You are suffering from n00bitus, that's the only thing wrong with your beer...the brewer :D

The beer will be going through SO MANY chemical processes for the next few weeks until it has carbed and bottle conditioned for several weeks, you won't even recognize it....LEAVE IT ALONE, it is fine....any flavors you try to diagnose or discern will be wrong because;

a) the beer is green,
b) You don't have enough experience to distinguish between green beer and beer that has something wrong with it.

So DON'T DO ANYTHING, YOU WILL ONLY MAKE IT WORSE...Except leave it alone for 2-3 weeks so the yeasts can clean up after themselves...

But until them, I have some interesting blogs you can read about the need for patience and stuff.

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Time_heals_all_things_even_beer/

It'll be okay, trust nurmey and I, we see this 30 or 40 times aday....

:D

Chill dude. Better yet chill some store bought craft beer and enjoy it for the next 3 or 4 weeks until your beer is ready to sample.

Better, better yet, 1. go to the LHBS and buy all of the stuff you need to get another batch of beer going. and then 2. worry about that beer and leave this one alone until it is ready to drink.

Every batch I have ever made has turned into something so different than I expected from drinking the samples that I might just stop drinking samples! I have learned this: NEVER judge a beer from a green sample, it will be great in its time.

A. It doesn't sound like you need more yeast
B. Don't shake it - introducting oxygen after fermentation has started can lead to oxidation, which is not good.
C. Isn't it already in primary? Primary is the first fermentation vessel
D. RDWHAHB

It sounds like it's coming along fine. I would leave it right where it's at for another week at least. Many of my samples tasted watery, it's kind of normal for immature beer that isn't carbonated.

Once you get back, if the SG has stabilized go ahead and rack it into secondary if you plan to. Otherwise, give it another week after that and you should be good to prime and bottle.

It is indeed in the primary. I've just been given horror stories about the yeast breaking down if left in the primary too long. I will leave it until Sunday night or so which will be 15 days. Fair?

thanks for the quick response!!

It'll be okay, trust nurmey and I, we see this 30 or 40 times aday....

:D

I read somewhere on this forum the following quote.. (or at least close)...
"Always, always, listen to Revvy..." or something alon those lines.

I'm on board... thanks...

Better, better yet, 1. go to the LHBS and buy all of the stuff you need to get another batch of beer going. and then 2. worry about that beer and leave this one alone until it is ready to drink.

Oh, I've been making my list... I certainly need the second primary bucket or carboy. And I've got so much more I want so I can eventually get to AG. But I must pace my new hobby to continue support from the marital counterpart.

The horror stories you've heard about refer to "autolysis" - and the general consensus is that you won't have to worry about at all unless you let it sit for 6 weeks or more, if at all. I secondary most of my beers after 14 days, but many folks on here leave it on the yeast for 3-4 weeks and skip the secondary, going straight to bottles. The main reason I secondary is so I can start another brew fermenting in the primary. You really don't have to worry about leaving your beer on the yeast too long, you're actually more likely to ruin it by not leaving it long enough.

Fantastic! Thanks for all of the posts and quick advice. These notes have helped clear up some misconceptions that I've heard+formed since I've began researching how to make a better brew. I'm definitely going to leave the primary sit for another 4-6 days and move forward leaving it alone. Good Beer... SIT... STAY!

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.. :mug:

I brewed the 10th and I sampled mine.. It was watery.. You really cant judge the brew now.. I am doing the 1..2..3.. methond.. week in primary, 2 in secondary, 3 in bottle. The best rememdy for me to forget my first beer was... Brew ANother, and Another.. So I will have brewed 4 times before my first beer is ever ready to drink.. I am freakin addicted..

Back