Primary Issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff48

Reaction score
OK this has been frustrating me for all 11 of my 14 total brews and I really can't figure it out.

This is the standard....I get no bubbles in the bubbler complaint.

My equipment...
The fermenters are standard 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids. The triangle on the bottom contains the number 2 so I figure these are fairly good quality.

The holes in the lids are drilled to accept rubber bungs with center holes.

I have 2 and 3 piece bubblers and a blowoff system rigged from a three piece bubbler and a 1/2 ID hose

My santization Method:

One Step before and after brewing

My yeasts
I use everything from Munton's and Nottingham dry to Wyeasts and White Labs Liquids

My Recipes
everything from Brewer's Best kits to outrageous stout recipes.

My Original Gravities
everything from about 1.038 to 1.089

My Temperatures
Wort at yeast pitching: Between 70 and 80
Fermentation: 70 deg F

The Results
Never brewed a bad beer----in fact they have all been great and the ones I have done 2 of have tasted almost identical.

The Problem
I never can tell whether I am going to ever see any evidence of fermentation in the bubbler. One time I get great fermentation within 5 hours, the next time I never see a single bubble in the bubbler.

Things I have checked:
1. The seal between the lid and the fermenter
2. The seal between the bubbler tube and the grommet'
3. The seal between the grommet and the lid.

All seem tight and complete

MY QUESTION

Why and I having this problem and what can I do to get some consistency in the bubble department.

I know I should Relax, sit back, have a home brew but I could relax better if I had some idea that the latest batch is actually working.

uniconfis said:
Are you using a airlock in combination with a blow off tube?

Nope, Just the center section of a 3 pc airlock. That piece gives an airtight fit for both the 1/2 ID plastic tube leading to the bucket and the grommet in the lid.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the water level in the airlock isn't high enough. I've brewed about 10 batches and never had your issue.

You know you are getting good fermentations so the problem has got to be a leak some where. I can think of a couple of things to look at. Is the O ring on the lid in good shape? Does the lid fasten down tight when you install it?

One more thing. I've had problems in the past with the air lock itself not fitting snug in the grommet or stopper. This caused an air leak and the air lock never worked. I've got 1 or 2 airlocks that are like this.

i've had to use one of the buckets/pails before when my carboy's were full, and had the same issue. i thought i killed my yeast, then took off the lid, and had two inches of krausen on top of the beer. i would wiggle the airlock on the rubber gromet, and get bubbles like crazy in the airlock, then 10 minutes later, no bubbles again, at all. i think it's just a poor design, and if you feel like you "need to see" the fermentation, or confirmation of it, don't use them.

brian

Back