Primary Fermenter Blew up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KW9375

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial saison yesterday. OG: 1.086, so I pitched 2 packs of dry yeast (Belle Saison) in the glass carboy, put a bung in with an airlock and blow off tube to a small jug with sanitizer in it. Put it in temp controlled chest freezer with temp set to 86*F (yeast packet said 86-92). This was last night about 9pm. This morning I open up the chest freezer and the bung/airlock had been blown out of the carboy and there was gunk all over. I crammed the bung back in for now but had to leave for work. I'll run back home at lunch and check on it, but I wonder what caused that and what, if anything, I lost from this? I'll attach 2 photos. You'll see a coffee mug warmer in there - that's my heat source. There's also a jug of water for the temp sensor to my STC-1000 temp controller. Any ideas?? Should I pitch another pack of yeast or just wait and see what happens? I'm wondering if it was just CRAZY active due to high OG, 2 packs of yeast, and high fermenting temp?

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

No reason to add more yeast. They are obviously doing very well from the vigorous fermentation. Just leave it to ferment out and itll be fine. Generally, I let my saisons and belgians free rise for 24hrs before cranking up the heat. Sometimes I find the yeasts can produce fusels that are unpleasant and take a while to fade away if you start them right off hot

I don't know why the blow off didn't work, maybe it was filled all the way to the top. I have had this happen a few times, your beer should be just fine.

hmmm... with that air lock, use a smaller diameter tube... you wouldn't have had the blow off that looked like chili night's aftermath all over your fermenter...

No reason to add more yeast. They are obviously doing very well from the vigorous fermentation. Just leave it to ferment out and itll be fine. Generally, I let my saisons and belgians free rise for 24hrs before cranking up the heat. Sometimes I find the yeasts can produce fusels that are unpleasant and take a while to fade away if you start them right off hot

Good to know - I may try that next time. I was a little nervous about starting it out that hot, but was trusting the yeast pack info (86-92).
The wort was not filled to the top of the carboy and the tube I used is what fits the airlock. I've used that setup quite a few times and haven't had this happen yet. Oh well, live and learn. :)

I wonder if I should cut the temp back to 75-80 for a day or two and then slowly bring the temp back up to 86? Or maybe it's too late for that. It's been 13.5 hours since I pitched dry yeast and put in freezer.

I wonder if I should cut the temp back to 75-80 for a day or two and then slowly bring the temp back up to 86? Or maybe it's too late for that. It's been 13.5 hours since I pitched dry yeast and put in freezer.

If it recommended to be 86, keep it there. Dropping it 10* is kinda asking for a stuck ferment

Good to know - I may try that next time. I was a little nervous about starting it out that hot, but was trusting the yeast pack info (86-92).
The wort was not filled to the top of the carboy and the tube I used is what fits the airlock. I've used that setup quite a few times and haven't had this happen yet. Oh well, live and learn. :)

Or use a tube the fits the inside opening of your car boy. Takes a lot of to plug 1"+ diameter.

If it recommended to be 86, keep it there. Dropping it 10* is kinda asking for a stuck ferment

+2 on this. IMO might be able to drop 1-2 degrees but 10 is asking for yeast to go dormant.

Yes why use an airlock at all? There is tubing that is a snug fit for the carboys so no airlock is needed. I've had a lot of trouble with those bungs even fitting snug...no matter what kind. Last time I took a carboy handle with an airlock and used a zip tie to keep it from popping off.

Good idea on skipping the airlock altogether. However, the whole bung/airlock blew out, so I'm not sure if it would have mattered.
As far as fermentation temp for this yeast...the packet itself says 86-92. My LHBS said at LEAST 75-80. ??

Good idea on skipping the airlock altogether. However, the whole bung/airlock blew out, so I'm not sure if it would have mattered.
As far as fermentation temp for this yeast...the packet itself says 86-92. My LHBS said at LEAST 75-80. ??

You can also get vinyl tubing that is a tight fit for the mouth of a carboy. I forget what size works, I think I just took my carboy into Home Depot and was "that guy".

Went home at lunch and checked on it. Everything in tact. I'm attaching a video showing some serious activity in blow off jug!
LHBS assures me this happens with high gravity beers, said the beer should be fine, and recommended next time using a 1+" tube directly in the top of the carboy...just as some of you guys also recommended. Thanks guys!

View attachment IMG_2696.MOV

I think I see the confusion - the 86-92 is for rehydrating, and fermentation should be above 63.

Most saison strains give the most desirable profiles in the 70-80 range, so your 86 may be interesting, possibly more fruity/bubble-gummy.

Well crap! Fruity/bubble-gummy is definitely not what I was going for. Maybe I'll back off the temp to 84 from 86. Don't want to drop too much too quick I suppose. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to trim back 2 degrees each day until I reach 80?

The problem here is that Belle Saison yeast is a beast and 2 packets of it at 86F resulted in excessive activity and probably clogging of the blow-off with krausen.

I usually start this yeast around 70-75F and ramp up to 80-85F after fermentation is 2/3 complete, otherwise the fermentation gets going too rapidly!

Should I start scaling back the temp, slowly, or is the damage done. Should I just leave it alone? It's been 20 hours now since I pitched the yeast. Thanks.

Went home at lunch and checked on it. Everything in tact. I'm attaching a video showing some serious activity in blow off jug!
LHBS assures me this happens with high gravity beers, said the beer should be fine, and recommended next time using a 1+" tube directly in the top of the carboy...just as some of you guys also recommended. Thanks guys!

Using part of the 3-piece as your blow-off setup is still presenting quite a serious bottleneck to your operation, there. That small opening could still clog up and give you another beersplosion, even with the little cross removed from the bottom of the 3-piece airlock.

My recommendations for the future:

1) Fermcap-S helps a lot to keep the krausen from going all crazy on you. Won't guarantee another blowout ever, but it will certainly go a long way.
2) Take a universal stopper and drill the hole out bigger so that the blowoff tube fits snugly inside, bypassing the 3-piece airlock bottom piece.
3) Or better yet...get one of the purple carboy caps (6.5g carboys) or one of the orange carboy caps (5g carboys) and connect your blowoff tubing to that.

Should I start scaling back the temp, slowly, or is the damage done. Should I just leave it alone? It's been 20 hours now since I pitched the yeast. Thanks.

IMO most of the damage is done. You can try bringing the temp down in an attempt to control new fruity/bubble-gummy flavors.

If it was my brew I would still bring the temp down 1 degree each day into the upper fermentation temperature knowing the risk of stalling the fermentation.

Thanks LandoLincoln. Those are good tips! I'll fix my blowoff system before next brew day.
Fuzzy, I'm leaning more towards dropping a degree per day. If it does stall, would I just pitch one more pack of dry yeast?

In Secondary: Belgian tripel
In Primary: Man Dog IPA (original recipe)

Thanks LandoLincoln. Those are good tips! I'll fix my blowoff system before next brew day.
Fuzzy, I'm leaning more towards dropping a degree per day. If it does stall, would I just pitch one more pack of dry yeast?

Truly stuck fermentations can't simply be restarted by pitching more yeast in most cases. You risk a beer that never finishes out. 1 degree a day right now til you reach 80 isn't going to undo the esters you've already created.

I'd let it ride. Saison yeasts were developed to use in the French/Belgian country side in the summer time before refrigeration was widespread. Nobody could control the weather in those days, so let it do what it's going to do at this point rather than risk it stalling out. Some Saison strains are prone to stalling too btw..particularly when temperatures decrease.

JMHO of course.

I am thinking it will not stall. If it does gently stirring and bring the temp back up a couple degrees should get the yeast going again.

And I have not used this particular yeast, so I happily defer to fuzzy. I've used White Labs french saison (WLP590), and Belgian Saison 1 (WLP565), the 565 is notorious for stalling and when it does, it won't start again.

Edit...see I caught you pre-edit Fuzzy, it's all good. I haven't used the yeast so maybe my fear of stalling is more related to the 565 experience)

Thanks guys. What's done is done. I think I'll just leave it and see how it turns out. If I don't like the outcome, I'll know to start it at 75-80 next time. :)

I just installed my faucet/shank/tap handle on my fridge. This Imperial Saison will be my first beer in my kegerator! Excited!! That excitement will probably trump any off flavors that result from this fermentation goof-up! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432692548.492216.jpg

I had exactly this issue with Belle Saison, but at a much lower temp, 70. That yeast is a monster, it cranks up fast and finishes quick. I have the lower temp due to a DIPA that is finishing, but I have had great results using this yeast at the same temps. I plan to ramp up the temps after a week and a half and see where it goes. Nice set up!!

You can also get vinyl tubing that is a tight fit for the mouth of a carboy. I forget what size works, I think I just took my carboy into Home Depot and was "that guy".

Measure the opening of the carboy and then look for tubing whose outer diameter is equal to the opening size. My first attempt at a blow-off had the same result as the krausen clogged up the small diameter holes for the airlock and tubing. I switched to a 3 foot long 1.5" diameter tube ending in a bucket of StarSan and water. No more blow-ups!

I had exactly this issue with Belle Saison, but at a much lower temp, 70. That yeast is a monster, it cranks up fast and finishes quick. I have the lower temp due to a DIPA that is finishing, but I have had great results using this yeast at the same temps. I plan to ramp up the temps after a week and a half and see where it goes. Nice set up!!

Thanks! Do you mean you've had great results using this yeast at the same temps as me (86*F) or at your 70*F? From the sounds of it, I'm expecting a sweeter, maybe bubble gum, flavor in my beer since I fermented at such a high temp from the beginning. Hopefully not. Maybe yours would taste better at 70*.

Or use a tube the fits the inside opening of your car boy. Takes a lot of to plug 1"+ diameter.

+2 on this. IMO might be able to drop 1-2 degrees but 10 is asking for yeast to go dormant.

Nah, Belle Saison ferments fine at 72F. It won't go dormant. From a lot of reading and a little bit of use I have put it through, 70-90F will work just fine. The warmer the more classical Saison peppery esthery flavors you'll get out of it, but it won't go dormant in the low 70's at any rate.

I am brewing up a batch in a few weeks and plan to pitch at 75F and let it ride on its own for 24hrs before I "crank" the temp up to 82F and leave it there. Last summer I did a batch at 72F that was allowed to free rise (no fermentation chamber then, it was 72F on my slab in the summer and I think it may have peaked around 77F according to the temp strip during the hotest part of fermentation). Next year I might try a hotter ferment in the upper 80's.

What I meant is that at 70 degrees I have had great results with this yeast. Although, now I may let it ride up to 80 after reading other folks responses.

UPDATE
Yesterday was 2 weeks in primary fermentation, so I took it out and measured the SG. I was surprised that I had lost a bit more volume than I realized when it blew up...maybe a gallon. I attached a photo - looks like maybe 4 gallons. I think it's a ~6 gallon carboy. When I put my recipe in BeerSmith, it said my OG should be 1.080 (I measured 1.082) and the FG should be 1.020 - it measured 1.008!!! A few thoughts here...
1) I took my OG reading while wort was in boiling pot (cooled) right before I transferred to carboy and pitched yeast. When I took the SG reading last night, I got a sample with a thief and measured in a plastic test tube. I'm assuming it should not matter that my two readings were not conducted in the same manner, right? In both cases, the hydrometer was floating freely.
2) I will measure the FG tonight, and if it is the same 1.008, I will rack to secondary. Question....now that fermentation is complete, should I drop temp down? Or does it even matter now?
3) I'm assuming since it has a lower SG than anticipated, the blow up caused water loss, but not as much fermentables or yeast. Should I add some water back in to dilute it? Instead of an 8.3ABV, it now measures a 10.25ABV! That's a BIG imperial saison!
Any thoughts are appreciated, very much. Thanks!

photo (4).jpg

No, it caused more complete fermentation.

When I use Belle, it took my 1.064 OG down to 1.002FG. The yeast is a MONSTER. I can completely see it taking a 1.082 down to 1.008.

You should have lost yeast, fermentables and water in equal proportions. You have a 10+% Saison on your hands. Drink it with that in mind.

If you want it clearer, cold crash it. I think a Saison is what I'll brew next. Maybe a lemon saison, but a milder one. Shooting for 1.058OG this time around and fermented at 80F to see what happens.

Back