Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfeman

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum and brewing.

I started a one gallon chocolate milk stout and am in the 4th day of primary fermentation. My question...when I started the fermentation I filled my one gallon jug up to the neck of the bottle. Fortunately I did have a blow-off tube submerged into another one gallon jug 1/2 full of water. With the violent first day of fermentation, I lost a portion of the contents into the blow-off jar, will this impact the flavor of my beer, or the overall quality. It's not a real big deal as this is my first attempt, and if needed will order another kit and leave headspace the next time around. I'm just curious at this point.

Thanks
Dave

will this impact the flavor of my beer, or the overall quality

Welcome to HBT and the hobby!

This should not impact flavor or quality. It will likely impact quantity.

Also you mention primary fermentation. There is no need for a secondary fermentation. If you do a secondary fermentation you want that fermentor to be entirely full. So yes in that case if you tried to rack 0.75 gallons of beer from your primary fermentor into a secondary fermentor you would not be full and the headspace in secondary would be full of oxygen that would impact flavor and quality.

But again...no need to do a secondary. In a day or so you could replace the blow off with a regular three piece or s-type airlock. But whatever you do just let this beer finish in current fermentor and then bottle it. Also be cautious with taking a bunch of gravity readings. Everytime you open the fermentor you will be letting in some air which is not good for your beer.

Welcome to HBT and the hobby!

This should not impact flavor or quality. It will likely impact quantity.

Also you mention primary fermentation. There is no need for a secondary fermentation. If you do a secondary fermentation you want that fermentor to be entirely full. So yes in that case if you tried to rack 0.75 gallons of beer from your primary fermentor into a secondary fermentor you would not be full and the headspace in secondary would be full of oxygen that would impact flavor and quality.

But again...no need to do a secondary. In a day or so you could replace the blow off with a regular three piece or s-type airlock. But whatever you do just let this beer finish in current fermentor and then bottle it. Also be cautious with taking a bunch of gravity readings. Everytime you open the fermentor you will be letting in some air which is not good for your beer.

Thanks for the quick response. Okay I may have my wording etc., mixed up. I am planning to just add an airlock to the primary container and filling with water to remove headspace. I am not taking any readings at all with this kit, I just wanted to keep things as simple as possible my first few times so I decided not to do readings. I have a lot to learn and this forum will be a big help. Hopefully I will be able to assist others someday.

Thanks for the quick response. Okay I may have my wording etc., mixed up. I am planning to just add an airlock to the primary container and filling with water to remove headspace. I am not taking any readings at all with this kit, I just wanted to keep things as simple as possible my first few times so I decided not to do readings. I have a lot to learn and this forum will be a big help. Hopefully I will be able to assist others someday.

um don't add any water...that will dilute the beer and cause other problems.

Clean everything up so it doesn't suck back filthy liquid that might have gotten contaminated. Change to an airlock or just a clean tube in new sanitizer when it's activity is less.

Be patient and don't fuss too much with it.

Start simple with simpler recipes. Ales and basic IPA's are my recommendation.

Back