Primary Fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ypsi_rambler

Reaction score
Curious...

I'm brewing my fifth batch of beer and noticed that during the initial fermentation, my temperatures in the carboy stay around 75F for several days(i keep blanket around it). Is this temperature ok? It seems to be but I wanted to make sure. After fermentation starts to slow, it cools down to ambient temps of around 64-68F.

Commence with the wisdom please...

75F is a little high. For ales, you want to keep it well below 70. I usually ferment my beers anywhere from 64-68. At temperatures above 70, some strains start to produce off flavors. Try removing the blanket and see if that brings temps down.

The fermentation process itself cause the beer temp to increase, so an ambient air temp of 65 means ferment temp a few degrees higher

I had the same problem with my first batch. I ferment in a closet which has ambient temp around 64-66. For the first week I use a water bath to help regulate the temp, then for the remaining weeks pull it out and leave it exposed to the ambient air. The water bath means the yeast have to heat up a larger volume which makes it harder and you can also put ice in there to lower the temps if it creeps up.

joebrew.jpg

My wife suggested checking out the yeast manufacturer (smart). White labs says:

WLP001 California Ale Yeast
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
(20-23°C)

I checked the temp now and its starting to drop (pitched yeast on Sunday afternoon) so its starting to slow a bit.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Im thinking next batch I will leave uncovered for the first couple days and wrap with blankets as the temp starts to drop.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Im thinking next batch I will leave uncovered for the first couple days and wrap with blankets as the temp starts to drop.

look into one of these that djeveans posted. it's a great, cheap, easy way to control temps.
I had the same problem with my first batch. I ferment in a closet which has ambient temp around 64-66. For the first week I use a water bath to help regulate the temp, then for the remaining weeks pull it out and leave it exposed to the ambient air. The water bath means the yeast have to heat up a larger volume which makes it harder and you can also put ice in there to lower the temps if it creeps up.

White labs says:

WLP001 California Ale Yeast
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
(20-23°C)

Keep in mind, that means 68-73˚F fermentation temp, not ambient temp. Fermentation is an exothermic process. The yeast will increase the temp in the fermenter during the attenuation stage by as much as ~5-10˚F above ambient temps.

Back