• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pricing gear prior to sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"Not sure if this post belongs here" is the HBT way of saying "longtime listener, first time caller", but I'm curious to know what calculus you guys use to price your gear before posting it for sale. I took an inventory of my garage and I'm starting to worry that I'm turning into the American Pickers of the homebrew world. I'm going to be selling some stuff and wondered how you folks gauge a fair price for gear.

I sold some stuff on cl. I determined my pricing my checking the local homebrew stops, as that determines the maximum I could possibly sell it for. Roughly 80% of new would be the top end.

I then checked nearby cl postings, then checked another states, then similarly populated areas.

Sold basically all of the items save rtwo, a giant ass chest freezer (22.4 cu ft) trying to get 150-200 for it, and a 7.5 gal turkey fryer aluminum pot (trying to get 20-25). The pots in a ... Heavily used condition. Still works fine but looks like crap.

Some of it is not only knowing pricing on craiglist it's knowing it online too. There have been some selling things here when I can get them brand new and shipped too me for less.

I've bought from Bobby (brewhardware.com) and he's got the best stuff for the best price I can find. At the end of he day it's all about what people are wiling to pay.

I "usually" Will pay only 1/2 of new price for a used item in great condition.

Stainless steel gear holds it's value well. You can typically get 60-80% new retail for anything stainless, like pots, fittings, chillers, etc..

Everything else, 40-60% of new retail.

Corny kegs have actually been going UP in value. I bought my first corny's for $35 each used in 2010, and you can sell them used these days for about $60 all day long on Craigslist.

Latest posts

Back