Preventing burglary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slev1111n

Reaction score
My family lives in an area where there are a lot of burglars. Now we all are at home cause my husband and I are working from home and our kids are learning remotely as well. Anyway, I am going to install a security system including several cameras, alarms, and motion detectors, just in case. I like products presentation, maybe I will choose among them. I suppose if a burglar sees a camera or a siren he will go away. Isn't it the way to prevent burglary? Do you think it worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a monitored security system that covers the basics: door and window, plus a timed disarm on entry. Importantly, I have stickers on my windows and doors alerting would-be burglars to that fact and this is effective at turning them away. I have caught a few characters on video scoping my property out and then walking away, which leads me to my next recommendation...

I have a few Amazon Blink security cameras installed outside the house. One at the front, one in the yard and one fixed directly to a tree overlooking my parking area. They are low cost, wireless, and easy to install. All you need is wi-fi. I don't advertise the fact that I have cameras, as it works best to catch trespassers off guard, and then pass the videos along to local authorities. They get the message soon enough, as the police generally know who they are and pay them a visit. In my experience, it also results in more patrol cars in my area which then lowers criminal activity in general.

The last think I did is to get lights around the house. I have dusk-till-dawn LED lightbulbs at both the front and back entry. I also purchased a few low cost solar motion lights on Amazon and installed them by the gates.

I have found all of these easy fixes to be very effective deterrents. Good luck with your challenge.

I have the Blink cameras around my house also and love them. Not only are they a great deterrent, but I get a notice on my phone when my daughter gets home from school, etc. It did take a while to fine tune them so the neighborhood cats weren't constantly setting them off though. Batteries are supposed to last 2 years, but the first set only lasted a month. Once I got them tuned, they last about 6-8 months now.

They used to offer a 3-year extended warrantee, but I don't see that option any more. I had one camera go completely dead at 13 months. I'm not sure I would buy them without the warrantee.

1606256821848.png

Nuff said! (My idea of a Big dog with deep bark)

Hello! I could recommend you to look closely at Ajax outdoor cameras. There are several variants. Some of them are really simple. Others have movement sensors and night view. I was looking for a reliable security system for my house. The control process is quite easy even for my grandmother. You can download an app on your phone and see everything connected to your house. I can also check my kids if they are home alone. But I have a lot of components, I do not think you need all of them, just check the cameras.
I suppose you can check their website or call them. I know they have a support line that works 24/7.

You're in a high crime area? With young children? The only logical solution is to move to a safer area ASAP.

If you can't move, put up a sign like this:
images.jpg

The dirtbags will get the message and look for an easier target.

Last edited:
Wow what are the odds of a new member asking about a brand of security products and another new member happens to recommend them. What crazy luck!

Wow what are the odds of a new member asking about a brand of security products and another new member happens to recommend them. What crazy luck!
While I think you might be right, and both probably work for Axis, it has to be the worst plan ever to be late to your own party, only posting after several better solutions already posted. It did work, in the sense that I actually went to their website, but they are many times more expensive than Blink and require you to run power lines through your walls.

They have a good presentation? Well hell, I'm sold, I love presentations! Who here doesn't LOVE presentation? After a long day's work my children are always like "daddy, daddy play with me" and I'm like NO ... I have to watch presentations. Then my wife is like you don't spend any time with the children or I and I'm like LISTEN I HAVE TO WATCH PRESENTATIONS. It usually escalates from there.

View attachment 707720
Nuff said! (My idea of a Big dog with deep bark)
Yup, I also have other items with higher capacity 'just in case'. ;)

For the OP, the only real way to 'prevent' a burglary is to either make your home a very unattractive target. 2A stickers would help there. As would a vocal (larger sized) dog that's not going to roll over for someone breaking in, or just moving to an area where it's not [such] an issue. My sister and mother live in another city (about 20 minutes from me) in the state to my south, and they were broken into some years back. No one was home, so things were taken. Some of which can never be replaced.

I'm glad I both live in a free state, where my neighbors are also freedom loving Americans (yes, we're pretty much all armed) and in a low crime town. It's a town of about 7k people, total. Even though I'm close to a more repressive state, I'm far enough away to it's not an issue. I do plan to move deeper into NH in 2021 for several reasons. None of them are to get out of a crime filled area.

Oh, and one of my 'neighbors' is an actual range (over 300 acres) that I'm a member of. We don't have any 2A stickers anywhere on our houses (renting part of a duplex currently) but it's not been any issue in the 5 years I've lived here.

Also, keep this in mind (for those thinking only police should have firearms)... When SECONDS count, the police are MINUTES away. Self help should be encouraged.

Latest posts

Back