Pressurized kegs in storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
Figured I'd ask here, while moving our stuff had to go into storage including my 4 corny kegs with beer that are pressurized to 10psi or so. I realized it's getting warm here in the 90s now, I shouldn't need to worry about them exploding should I? I mean they are rated for a lot higher pressure and they shouldn't get that crazy hot in there?

I'm right down the street and would be happy to help you empty them before storing if that'll make you sleep at night. :tank:

Most of my ball lock kegs are rated for 135 psi or higher burst pressure, and I have read that the ring-tab style PRVs are rated for 85 psi. (When new. And fully functional. Lord only knows if mine would go early - or late :eek: )

Anyway, as long as there is some compressible head space I doubt you could pop keg or even PRV just by heating the beer to 100°F...

Cheers! (Me, I'd have had one hella big party instead ;))

Most of my ball lock kegs are rated for 135 psi or higher burst pressure, and I have read that the ring-tab style PRVs are rated for 85 psi. (When new. And fully functional. Lord only knows if mine would go early - or late :eek: )

Anyway, as long as there is some compressible head space I doubt you could pop keg or even PRV just by heating the beer to 100°F...

Cheers! (Me, I'd have had one hella big party instead ;))

I guess the better question is will it be good when I chill it again Month later :) just fruit beer,..

I imagine there will be some character attenuation from the heat over a month, but as long as your sanitation regimen was sound they probably won't be all that different from expectations...

Cheers!

Back