Pressure kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
I was wondering why these seem to be popular only in the UK?

Here in Canada I cant find any for sale anywhere. They seem interesting and easy to use... Does anyone even use them in Canada or the US? Or know where I can order one on this side of the pond?

Cheers.

Sorry seems as if they are more commonly called "pressure barrels"

Seems that they tend to be smaller, 5 gallons, you fill the barrel up with beer, prime it, wait a week, then start to pour from the bottom of the barrel. You can also use one of those mini co2 canisters to "beef up" the carbonation.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/5_Gallon_Plastic_Barrel_Bulb_Co2_PIN_VALVE.html

Seems easy and a good alternative to an "all out keg setup"... I could still bottle most of my batch, or do a mini batch for one of these. Not sure why they seem to be only a UK thing.

Seems like more of a home solution for gravity dispensed cask beer. I wouldn't have a way to keep it cool since my basement is heated and I use a keezer for my kegs. I've thought about doing this by moving the pickup tube to the gas in side and inverting my keg. Same temp control problem though and without the splashing of a beer engine I'm not sure I'd be totally satisfied.

Yes it's a home solution for cask beer with low carbonation. The downside to these is that you have to drink the beer fast for it to retain it's carbonation. The CO2 cartridges are more for filling the headspace to avoid the intake of 02 thus avoiding oxidation. They don't provide too much pressure

Search for "pressure barrel beer" on ebay.ca

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Youngs-40-pint-Pressure-Barrel-home-brew-beer-c-w-CO2-injection-cap-New-/221697724768?hash=item339e36d160

This one requires S30 CO2 cylinder to top off the barrel as the beer gets drank. About $100CDN shipped unless I am missing something.

I was considering this for a while but the barrel takes up too much space in the fridge when I can just stick a few bottles (from multiple batches) in the fridge a couple of days before I plan to drink them.

They're a good piece of kit to have. My pair hold about 30L each and use the 8g CO2 sparklets. They're mainly used to help dispense as the Co2 from priming isnt enough to fill the head space and keep the beer slightly fizzy.

I've had a keg last 3 months and it gets through about 4 sparklets. They are very style dependent though. You wouldnt want to put a big IPA in 1 but a traditional cask ale style or dark beer that can cope with a bit of oxidation is fine.

They also do barrels that dispense from the top and use a float system to draw beer from just underneath the surface of which im yet to try. Does mean you get the clearer beer first.

$100 seems quite expensive to me but not knowing your accessibikty or exchange rate its hard to guess. We get them here for between £30-50

The exchange rate (on eBay today anyway) is 1GBP = 1.68CDN

Around 1/3 of the cost is shipping to Canada from the UK.

Cool, thanks guys... yeah 60 GBP is $99 Can so I guess its not that much more but a bit more... they are shipping it across the ocean I suppose.

Unfortunately the pressure barrel takes some odd ball co2 canister you cant get in Canada either lol. I will look for one that takes the standard co2 canister ppl use for air guns around here.

Back