Pressure in keg dropped after serving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miggedymike

Reaction score
Hi, so I am very new to kegging and have a question on serving and psi.

I searched the forums for a while and didn't find an answer close enough to my issue, if you know of a thread, please feel free to send it my way.

I put 2 kegs under pressure on Monday night. (Today is Wed) After kegging I put the pressure at about 25psi for 24hrs, then dropped to 12 psi on Tuesday.

I pulled one to taste it and see how it was coming along. The carbonation was present in the solution.

However, after I was done pulling, I noticed on the regulator that it didn't remain at 12 psi...it dropped way down to maybe 2 and didn't shoot right back up. I had to turn the dial to get it back to 12, where it remains.

Any idea what is happening here? The pressure has remained constant when not serving at both pressures. I checked for leaks after kegging and saw nothing.

Perhaps I just have the wrong expectations regarding how it works.
Beer and tank are both at 45 degrees.

Thanks in advance for any thought/reply!

I am guessing the you turned the psi down put didn't release the pressure until you poured your beer which changed your gauge to where you set it. Turning it back to 12 psi should balance it out from here.

I think I am getting what you wrote...

When i went down from 25, i turned the dial down, a little bit, then bled some pressure from keg and repeated that exercise until it locked in at 12.. Did I do it incorrectly? Perhaps I should have bled it all and then reset to 12?

This happened to me when I put my first kegs on too. I found it helpful to turn my regulator all the way off, bleed the kegs, and then turn the regulator up to 12.

It is crystal clear now. I could not have known where to put the regulator dial with residual pressure in the tank.

The gauge will always drop while pouring, the co2 has to fill the space occupied by the beer, although it shouldn't go down that low. And it will take a few seconds for the guage to "recover" before it reads properly again.

-

Back