Pressure gauge issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davor800

Reaction score
Hello,

This my first attempt at kegging my homebrew. I found some used equipment from craigslist and have everything setup. My issue is with getting the pressure to drop to the correct level. I can screw the adjustment counterclockwise and the reading on the gauge drops, but as soon as it gets to around 18psi, CO2 begins to leak from around the screw. What is happening? Do I need a new gauge or is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks,
Ben

Is it from around the screw or a bleed hole near the screw? Does the pressure ever stabilize? Back the screw out with the tank valve closed and see if it stops leaking when it reaches a pressure below 18 psi. Shoot for 12 psi. If it does, open the tank valve and see if it starts leaking again, maintains 12 psi, or starts rising.

you can get regulator rebuild kits, if you can figure out what kind it is that may be worth it. there are seals and rubber pieces that degrade and crack with age. they are pretty easy to take apart if you want to check. if you have a picture or can find a link to the same kind that you have, i can give you more specific instructions...

Is it from around the screw or a bleed hole near the screw? Does the pressure ever stabilize? Back the screw out with the tank valve closed and see if it stops leaking when it reaches a pressure below 18 psi. Shoot for 12 psi. If it does, open the tank valve and see if it starts leaking again, maintains 12 psi, or starts rising.

The leak is around the screw, yes. However, you suggestion worked. I shut off the main valve and then slowly unscrewed until the pressure dropped to 10psi. After about 30 seconds there was no more gas leaking. I turned on the main valve and the pressure held constant. I then was able to tighten the screw and bring up the PSI. (I stopped at 12).

Thanks for your help.

Back