Pressure Cooker recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Following up on this thread,
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=493585

I thought I'd see if any HBT'ers have favorite recipes for pressure cookers. I got a really cheap aluminum one at the beginning of the year to use for preparing slants and small volumes of sterile wort. After a month or two, it dawned on me that, duh, I can use this thing for food too. I prepared the beef stew recipe below and it was AWESOME. I used cheap stew beef and, after 10 minutes in the cooker, it was melt-in-your-mouth tender, and felt like it had been simmering in the slow cooker all day. (I used my own robust porter instead of Guinness, of course.)

http://savorysweetlife.com/2013/03/irish-stout-beef-stew/

I tried some chicken cacciatore that was just okay, and SWMBO just handed me a short rib recipe that looks really good. I'm anxious to try making super fast mashed potatoes, and I'll try wild rice.

Anyway, anyone else have some tried-and-true recipes for the pressure cooker?

How does the superfast mashed potatoes work?

Don't you have to bring the cooker up to boiling anyway? Potatoes only take a few minutes to cook. I don't see how the pressure cooker is going to save much time there.

I LOVE my pressure cookers! Yep, I have 4 - 2 of them are 8 quart digital electric, 1 is 6 quart stovetop, and one 16 quart pressure canner. Here are a couple faves:

Lamb Shanks in the Pressure Cooker, Indian style

SERVES 4

4 good meaty lamb shanks
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon mojo de ajo, oil part, OR 1 tablespoon olive oil or bacon fat
1 cup chicken stock (or other broth)
1 cup merlot
1 16 oz. Container mirepoix from Trader Joe's (diced celery, carrots, and onions)
4 oz. Sliced crimini or other mushrooms
1 can tomato paste
1 tablespoon mojo de ajo, garlic part OR 3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon (to taste) garam masala
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch red pepper flakes (to taste)

1. Trim excess fat from the lamb shanks and season with salt and pepper. (I admit I like fat on my meat, and the lamb isn't that fatty, so I didn't trim my shanks).
2. Heat the oil in the PC. Add the shanks, two at a time, and brown on all sides. (You can do this in a separate pan if you like).
3. Remove shanks from pan as they are browned and set aside.
4. Add the mirepoix to the fat in the pan and stir til starting to caramelize.
5. Add the mushrooms and stir til starting to brown.
6. Add the stock, wine, 1 tablespoon of the tomato paste, mojo de ajo garlic, and rosemary, stirring so the tomato paste dissolves.
7. Add the shanks back into the pot.
8. Close the PC and bring up to full pressure (15 pounds).
9. Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 30 minutes.
10. Remove PC from heat and let pressure release naturally.
11. Remove the lamb shanks to a baking dish.
12. Use an immersion blender and blend ingredients in pan til smooth.
13. Stir in the remaining tomato sauce, garam masala, pepper flakes and cinnamon.
14. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed - then pour over lamb shanks.
15. Refrigerate until chilled. Skim off any fat that has chilled at the top.
16. Reheat in 350* oven til hot through.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PRESSURE COOKER - you can do this in a large 6 to 8 quart dutch oven, either over a low flame or in a 300* oven - do all the browning etc., add the shanks, cook til tender, blend the sauce til smooth, etc.

Texas Chili

Serves 4

8 dried chiles, 2 each: California, guajillo, chile negro and pasilla chiles, or combo of what you can find locally
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Sea salt
5 tablespoons lard or rendered bacon fat
2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
5 large cloves garlic, minced
1 12-oz. beer - dark is good!
2 1/4 cups water, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn tortilla flour)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Wipe the chiles off with a barely damp paper towel, to knock off any dust/debris. Cut off the tops and shake out the seeds. Put them on a baking sheet and roast at 300* about 5 to 8 minutes - watch them closely or they'll burn. You want them to soften up slightly.

Nuke about 2 cups of the 2 1/4 til hot but not boiling. Put chiles in a blender container just cover with the hot water. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes. Add the cumin, pepper, and about a tablespoon of salt; puree mixture, adding more water if needed, and scrape down the sides of the jar, until you get a smooth paste about like tomato sauce consistency. Set aside.

Heat the pressure cooker on medium-high heat and melt 2 tablespoons of the lard. When it begins to barely smoke, swirl skillet to coat and add half of the beef. Lightly brown on at least two sides, about 3 minutes per side; turn down the heat if the meat is browning too fast. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with 2 more tablespoons of lard and the remaining beef. Set aside.

Let the PC cool slightly, then over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of lard, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beer, and gradually whisk in the masa harina. Stir in the reserved chile paste, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a spatula to loosen any browned bits. Add the cooked beef plus any juices that have accumulated in the bowl and bring to a simmer over high heat. Put on the lid and bring to high pressure, then cook 35 minutes. Let pressure reduce naturally.

Stir in the brown sugar and cider vinegar, add more salt if needed; simmer another 10 minutes or so, lid off. Now turn off the heat and let the chili stand about 30 minutes. It should absorb about half of the remaining sauce in the skillet. You want a nice thick sauce, but not dry. Stir in some broth or water if the mixture seems too dry. If the mixture seems too wet, allow it to simmer a bit more. Adjust with a bit of additional salt, brown sugar, or vinegar, to your taste.

This can also be done stovetop in a big skillet, or in a crockpot for about 6 to 8 hours on low.

I have 2 pressure cookers, one is a little Presto 5 quart pressure cooker and the other is a 921 All American pressure canner that I also use as a pressure cooker. I save all my bones to make soup stock. If I used a normal pot it would take 8 to 12 hours, but under pressure it takes an hour. Good stock is what makes good food become great food. I cook a lot of other stuff like soups and meat, but it's main use is making stock, much much faster than a normal pot.

If you have a small pressure cooker, pressure cook submersed eggs, for only 3 minutes, then run cold water to take the heat/pressure out of the pan and cool under cold running water. some of the eggs will already be out of their shells but the rest will be easy to peal.
On another note if you guys are going to try my pressure cooker stock, don't keep the bones under pressure more than an hour or they can break down to powder. If you find they break like toothpicks, you're getting close to the point the bones are going to turn to dust. It depends on the type, size and age of the bone too.

Coca cola beef short ribs. I'll find the recipe, but it's out there if you want to google. They get done in less than 30 min. Gotta get back to Gator fball.

It's very rich and beefy tasting. Meat falls apart.
Pressure Cooker Cola-Braised Beef Short Ribs

_mg_8850-63782.jpg

I also made this chili in the pressure cooker. It's really good if this is your style of chili (no beans, meaty, chipotles, adobe sauce). I think this is the recipe I went by, looks close anyway. I didn't bookmark it. Also failed to take picture of final product apparently.
Pressure Cooker Chili

browning-beef-for-pressure-cooker-chili-60860.jpg

Is an electric pressure cooker substantially better than a range top one? I do have an electric glass top range if that matters.

I have two 8 quart digital electric PCs that I LOVE. It's such a "set it and forget it" activity.

I also have a 6 quart stovetop PC which I do use, but it takes a lot more attention than the electric ones do.

Did a nice 4 pound pork shoulder (bone in) in the PC, Carolina-style with vinegar and spices, for some DEE-LICIOUS pulled pork. Man it's good. Easy too, took 70 minutes at high pressure, let the pressure drop naturally, pulled the pork out and let it cool, shredded and added back to the liquid left in the PC and heated up just a bit for service. Will do it this way from now on!

Resurrecting this thread because it's so easy to make turkey stock in the PC!

I roast off the bones, along with a handful of garlic cloves, a whole onion (skin and all) halved from pole to pole, handful of baby carrots and some celery stalks, at 375* til the bones are browning up nicely. Put all that, including any accumulated juices, into the pressure cooker. Add some whole peppercorns, a teaspoon of salt, 2 or 3 12-oz beers (homebrewed preferred of course!) or leftover wine (red or white, doesn't matter), a couple bay leaves, and I usually do a bouquet garni of thyme, sage leaves, and rosemary from my garden. (I just wrap them all with kitchen twine, tie it off, and throw in the pot.) Top up with enough water to come 2/3 up the top of the pot.

Cook at High pressure for 90 minutes. Let pressure drop naturally. Strain off the stock, or what I do is use a large spider to pull the solids out of the pressure cooker. Now you can let it cool in the fridge if you want to skim off the fat (I don't though) or you can do what I do - ladle into hot jars and pressure can. Pint jars only take 15 minutes under pressure. You do need an appropriate pressure canner though - my 8 quart cookers are not meant for canning; I have an aluminum 16 quart pressure canner for that purpose.

I LOVE having homemade stock canned up and ready to go - and using the roasted bones/veggies gives it a depth of flavor you can't buy.

I save bones in the freezer year-round to make stock - pork, beef, and fowl. Heck, I paid for 'em - might as well make use of 'em!

I LOVE my Instant Pot!

Have you tried hardboiled eggs in it yet? KOTC loves his with JUST soft centers. I put a dozen eggs in there on a steamer basket, add a cup of water, set it to High for 3 minutes. As soon as that timer goes off, release the steam, then plunge the eggs into an icewater bath for at least 10 minutes.

They peel so ridiculously easy! Best hardboiled eggs I've ever made, and I've tried steamed, the oven method, slow cooker, bring to boil/turn off, all of them.

We cook with our pressure cooker all the time. We have two Instant Pots. The most common food is probably steamed vegetables. They generally take 1-4 minutes of steaming. Usually about a 10 minute warm up time. So done in 15-20 typically. The instant pot manual has a good timing chart.

I have been using mine to do small canning jobs. One big drawback of the instant pot is that it won't fit a quart jar upright. In another thread on here I was educated that Instant Pots don't quite get to 15psi. This means that they are not appropriate for some canning. (I think that would be low acid foods.) Just passing that on as a PSA. I still use my 24qt stove top pressure cooker for things like canning wort.

Coca cola has a pH of around 2.5. I would have concerns about using it in aluminum pressure cookers. Get a Fagor or other SS cooker if you want to cook acidic foods in a pressure cooker.

My mom always did beef soup and sloppy joes in the pressure cooker. The ground meat was so fine. Totally changed the texture.

We cook with our pressure cooker all the time. We have two Instant Pots. The most common food is probably steamed vegetables. They generally take 1-4 minutes of steaming. Usually about a 10 minute warm up time. So done in 15-20 typically.

Or just microwave with a couple of teaspoons of water under clingfilm and you get the 1-4 minute cooking without the 10 minute warmup time...

I've had my instant pot for about 6 months, you have to figure your what you want and what you like and dial it in like brewing beer. I haven't done any meat, we don't eat much meat around here. My wife is vegan. I've made beans, basmati rice to make fried rice. Also have made some good spaghetti sauce, it gives a deep rich flavor like you have cooked it for days. I enjoy using it if I have a plan for some meals.

I made this risotto last night in the instant pot.

It was delicious, but I'm not sure why using the instant pot was any easier than any other method?

1. The saute on the onions/garlic/asparagus could be done just as easily on the stove.
  2. The risotto can be done easily on the stove. Even if not, cooking the risotto in the pot and then assembling elsewhere is easier than cooking everything in one pot.
  3. The instructions said to move the risotto after it cooks "to one side of the pot" to cook the shrimp & spinach, but the pot is too small for that and the risotto wouldn't stay there, so we cooked that stuff on the stove before adding it back into the pot.

I still like the idea of the instant pot, as what I really was looking for was a pressure cooker more than anything else. But it seemed like this recipe was an "excuse" to use the instant pot rather than something for which the instant pot excels.

I found a website that has some really good information and recipes. hippressurecooking.com.

I made one up yesterday - bought one of those big packs of extra-thick, boneless center cut loin chops at Costco and dang if those things aren't TOUGH!

So I took two of them and browned them up good in the Instant Pot, then added a sliced onion (cut into 1/2" thick rings), about 2 cups of fermented sauerkraut (also from Costco), a tablespoon of chicken stock paste, some garlic powder, and about a cup of Kiltlifter ale. Stirred all that together and nestled the browned chops back in there, cooked on High pressure for 30 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally, then added a can of cream of mushroom soup to it and back on high pressure for 10 more minutes. Let pressure drop; pork was now tender but the broth a little thin, so I just added some instant potato flakes til it thickened up to my liking, then served the whole works with mashed potatoes (made separately!) on the side with the gravy on top of everything. MAN it was good. The onions and sauerkraut basically just cooked down into a chunky sauce. KOTC is already licking his chops at the prospect of another dinner with this stuff - since I only cooked two chops in there, and have leftover sauce, I'm gonna try some boneless skinless chicken thighs in it, will pressure cook til they're tender, probably 20 minutes max.

Experimenting with that Instant Pot is one of my favorite pasttimes!

I recently pulled the cooker out and did ropa vieja- chuck roast seared on all sides, couple peppers, a chopped onion, some garlic, a can of tomatoes and a good shake each of paprika, cumin and oregano. 30 minutes on high and then I released pressure and shredded the beef. It was like it had been in the crockpot all day! Very tasty.

One of these nights I’m going to try carnitas - either CSRs or pork steaks (any of that darker meat from the shoulder) with stock, wine, OJ, garlic, herbs/spices. I hear if you shred it after pressure cooking and then put it under the broiler for just a couple minutes, you get that nice crispy thing that carnitas usually has.

I recently pulled the cooker out and did ropa vieja- chuck roast seared on all sides, couple peppers, a chopped onion, some garlic, a can of tomatoes and a good shake each of paprika, cumin and oregano. 30 minutes on high and then I released pressure and shredded the beef. It was like it had been in the crockpot all day! Very tasty.

One of these nights I’m going to try carnitas - either CSRs or pork steaks (any of that darker meat from the shoulder) with stock, wine, OJ, garlic, herbs/spices. I hear if you shred it after pressure cooking and then put it under the broiler for just a couple minutes, you get that nice crispy thing that carnitas usually has.

I've done many a pan of carnitas this way, but I use beer, not wine, in mine. When done, rather than shred, I cube it into about 1" cubes, then toss the cubes on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet with some bacon fat that has been melted, then into a preheated 400* oven - toss the cubes every 5 to 10 minutes til they get as crispy as you like. DANG good stuff!

Look up Chasu (Japanese version) or the similar Chinese Hong Shoa Rou/Dong Po Rou. The latter 2 (depending on region) use spices not used in the Japanese version. The braising sauce though is very similar but cooking technique is a bit different.

Chasu is most commonly used for Japanese ramen after is been cooled enough to slice thin. The Chinese version is normally eaten with rice and the sauce is thicker/caramelized/sticky.

https://www.iceorrice.com/rolled-chashu-for-ramen-instant-pot/

Last edited:
Made turkey breast loins in the instant cooker again last night. I have to run the cycle twice due to the thickness, but in about 30 minutes they come out so tender and juicy!

I've noticed rice takes a bit longer too. It's edible after the first round, but softer after 2.

I threw 8 frozen chicken thighs into the IP, added bay leaves, dried onion flakes, dried garlic slivers, bay leaves, oregano, turmeric, some red pepper flakes and some garlic salt; added a Kiltlifter beer and two beer bottles of filtered water, put the top on and set it on High pressure for 30 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally, then lifted the thighs out and onto a plate, and to the broth in the pot, I added 3 stalks of sliced celery, some broccoli and cauliflower which I cut into small florets, some frozen peas and carrots and some frozen pearl onions, chicken stock paste, a couple dashes each of Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco, and one of soy sauce. Oh yeah and about half a pound of pasta shells.

By now the meat was cool enough to handle, so skinned and took the meat off 4 of the thighs and added that to the pot too, lid back on for 8 minutes on High pressure, let drop naturally. Oh yum! It's now on the Warm setting with the glass lid on it and will be there another hour or so, at which time I will make some garlic bread and we shall feast! Will try to remember to get a picture if KOTC isn't sitting at the table, spoon in hand already.

So I got a whole chicken and cut off the legs and breasts and decided to try to make stock in the pressure cooker out of the carcass and giblets. Expectations were not too high, but what the heck.

I sauteed some onion in the bottom of the cooker then added the bones and giblets, 2 qts of water, some peppercorns, oregano, parsley, thyme, bay leaves and tarragon, added some salt and sealed 'er up and cooked for 45 minutes, then let the pressure go down naturally.

I expected there would be recognizable pieces in there afterward, but everything was completely fall-apart tender like it had been in the crockpot all day. The stock was remarkably flavorful (needed more salt) and I used it up pretty quickly in a couple recipes. Will definitely do that again.

Pressure cooking stock is one of the best things to do in there, IMHO. We do a bunch at once and then pressure can it (in the canning PC, not the regular cooking one!) and have it year-round that way - especially nice with the turkey carcass at Thanksgiving.

Even Costco's rotiss chicken carcasses make great stock.

Costco's rotisserie chicken makes really really good stock. Its just going in the trash or compost anyway so why not use it before it gets tossed.

One of my favorite recipes is congee. Basically an asian rice porridge. It makes a lot and makes excellent leftovers.

1c long grain white rice, rinsed
7c water (or stock, or whatever you want *see note)
1 onion
4 cloves garlic chopped up
1/4c fresh minced ginger (or as much as you want)
1 bunch green scallions sliced thing
1lb ground turkey
8z sliced mushrooms
salt, pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, sriracha (whatever you want to make it tasty with)

saute the garlic, ginger, onions, scallions and mushrooms in oil until fragrant
add rice, water, turkey, seasonings and mix it all up.
close pot, push porridge button (on instant pot) or bring to pressure for 20 mins. let come down to full natural release.
open and ENJOY!

*note: along with my water i'll put a tablespoon each of vegetable and beef better than bouillon. you can use chicken stock instead if you want. basically 7c liquid to 1c rice.

Back