Pressure + Ale Yeast = 90 fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen that people are lagering under pressure around 70 degrees F (adding 12 deg to high end of lager yeast range). Does this mean you could add 12 deg with an ale yeast and ferment (under pressure) at 80 deg and get a comparable product in a shorter time? Thank you

Last edited:
I ferment lagers warm (for a lager that is, actually ale temperatures) under pressure, now my SOP. At higher than normal temperatures it results in a superior lager character. I tried an ale under pressure. Even at normal ale temperatures it resulted in a very un-ale-like character. Much more lager-like, but also underattenuated, which is never a problem with lager it seems. If you can find it on his website, Scott Janish tried IPAs under pressure and found them very bland. I wouldn't recommend it for ales. Like RPh_Guy said you can just ferment your ale warmer without the pressure and probably get a more satisfying result.

Im pressure fermenting an ale at 80°, how many days should i let it ferment before i cold crash it?

I ferment lagers warm (for a lager that is, actually ale temperatures) under pressure, now my SOP. At higher than normal temperatures it results in a superior lager character. I tried an ale under pressure. Even at normal ale temperatures it resulted in a very un-ale-like character. Much more lager-like, but also underattenuated, which is never a problem with lager it seems. If you can find it on his website, Scott Janish tried IPAs under pressure and found them very bland. I wouldn't recommend it for ales. Like RPh_Guy said you can just ferment your ale warmer without the pressure and probably get a more satisfying result.

What temp/pressure do you shoot for? Are you finding the results strain dependent? I'm doing lagers cool into spunding at the moment, but I've been curious to give warm/pressure a shot. I use Augustiner yeast exclusively for my lagers, how do you think that strain would behave warm with pressure?

Back