Preserving kit grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaba

Reaction score
I just got my first kits from Northern Brewer. I bought three IPAs in their recent 3 for 2 promotion. The grains are all unmilled, and the hops are still in the nitrogen sealed packages. What is the best way to preserve this stuff, the hops and the grains, before I get around to brewing?

I put my hops in the freezer. I don't buy kits anymore, but I get my grains at the local store and they mill and put in brown paper bags. I store them in those in relatively dry and somewhat cool place (depending on season). I've stored the grains for up to 3+ or so weeks w/o issue.

Unmilled grains could be stored in any cool, dry, pest-free location, preferably in sealed containers.

Grains aren't harvested weekly year 'round, and aren't stored in freezers.
They sit for long periods in places far less hospitable than a basement...

Cheers!

I put my hops in the freezer. I don't buy kits anymore, but I get my grains at the local store and they mill and put in brown paper bags. I store them in those in relatively dry and somewhat cool place (depending on season). I've stored the grains for up to 3 or so weeks w/o issue.

I put my hops in the freezer.I buy my grain in bulk,unmilled. I store that in plastic totes in my hallway closet.

I store hops in the freezer, yeasts & LME in the fridge, although the yeasts go in the lil butter cubby on the fridge door. Grains stay in their bags ( I love the Maillard Malts zip-locks!) in a dunage container with snap-down lid halves on the bottom shelf of my wire shelf. Un-milled, they can last for months. I have another dunage container next to that one for DME, dextrose, etc.

Latest posts

Back