Premature "smack"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make my starter for an IPA this morning, and upon removing my Wyeast 1056 from the fridge noticed that the pack was partially inflated. It was probably accidentally activated 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'm planning on making the starter anyway to check for viability, but is there any chance of "weird" flavors from this pre-activated yeast?

you should be just fine. The yeast woke up a little and did their thing but the cold of the fridge most likely put them back to sleep. And really, they're in a nice, clean, sealed package so they shouldn't be contaminated. Also, I wash and re-use my yeast and never had off flavors and they've been through a full fermentation.

Thanks for the comments and reassurance; there is noticeably more 'ballooning' of the pack in 2 hours out of the fridge, so I'll roll with it.

Coff...BTW, what was the manufacture date of your partially swollen 1056? I'd just like to rule out the possibility of infected wort in the package.

update.....I aggressively squeezed the pack for about 30 seconds (about 1" swollen), and found the unbroken internal activator pouch. A friend has suggested pressure change may have caused the swelling. I plan on giving it a good sniff before pitching it into the starter; just to be sure. I think that out of all commercial yeast manufacturers, I trust Wyeast the most, so I'm not too worried.

Back