Preferred software for brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for me. I do not have a dedicated logging device for my Tilt. I usually log to my phone when I am around my brew room - 3 to 4 times a day. I export a csv file and import that into Beersmith. Brewfather does not have the capability to import a Tilt CSV file. I know I can log to a google sheet and then sync that to Brewfather but so far it has not worked well. On the one batch I had gotten it to work, the data disappeared after I had kegged the batch. It is certainly an area I need to go tweak. I just found the integration to be easier with BS.

You can also put the Google sheets url in to Beersmith and it will pull in the logged data as well.

Not for me. I do not have a dedicated logging device for my Tilt. I usually log to my phone when I am around my brew room - 3 to 4 times a day. I export a csv file and import that into Beersmith. Brewfather does not have the capability to import a Tilt CSV file. I know I can log to a google sheet and then sync that to Brewfather but so far it has not worked well. On the one batch I had gotten it to work, the data disappeared after I had kegged the batch. It is certainly an area I need to go tweak. I just found the integration to be easier with BS.
Yeah, it would definitely be worth it to have a dedicated device that logs to Brewfather. A spare phone or tablet, a cheap RaspberryPi, anything. If you are a Brewfather user, you won’t regret it.

I am primarily a Beersmith user, holding onto hope that Brad will make the improvements to go completely cloud based while maintaining features that I feel makes is a superior recipe editor. He’s working towards that, but the Tilt integration with Brewfather is an amazing way to track fermentation in real time from anywhere on any device at any time.

I have used both Beersmith 3 and Brewfather. One key difference between the two is that Brewfather is a cloud application meaning that regardless of what device I log on with, the data is the same because it is the same application and instance. Beersmith is installed on a device and the data is on that device. I know you can upload recipes to the cloud with Beersmith but it is not the same as a cloud app. (I cannot speak to the Beersmith mobile app as I have never used it.)

Beersmith now has a cloud based version. It was released earlier this year. I don't even use the desktop version anymore.

Beersmith now has a cloud based version. It was released earlier this year. I don't even use the desktop version anymore.
It's an overdue, much needed step in the right direction, but as a PC guy, the whole drag and drop, copy and paste functionality is something that I don't think I'll ever want to give up. I also like being able to have multiple recipes open at once for comparison. If Brad heads in that direction with Beersmith (HTML drag and drop, right-click context menus, copy and paste, etc) as well as complete API integration with devices like the Tilt, I'd scrap the Brewfather subscription and be 100% team Beersmith. As it stands, at least for now, I pay for both because there are features in both that I like.

Thomas Gangsøy has done a nice job with Brewfather and has stayed pretty much on top of bug fixes, improvements and updates, but it's been hard for me to pull away from the power of Beersmith.

Inventory.

I’ve only used BeerSmith IOS and it does not manage my inventory. Brewfather does and I can use it to determine what I can brew and when I should order supplies.

Back