Preferred conical dump valving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefromcu

Reaction score
In the process of getting my induction/conical tanks fitted out and wondering what those with experience would suggest as the best combination of valving, etc for the bottom dump.

I'll be going from 1.5" FPT (fully draining tank).

What valves fittings would you suggest in what order, I'm especially curious about the advantages of a butterfly v. ball valve.

Whether to go straight to a 90* (or 45*?), then a valve, or valve first, or two valves...you get the idea!

Assume s/s and tri-clover sanitary fittings thoughout when possible.

Thanks in advance!

If you are using a plastic induction tank it is a complete waste of money to buy s/s fittings for it. Your wort/beer sit in plastic for weeks, a few seconds cascading through a pvc ball valve is not going to do it any damage. My tank has a plastic bv attached straight to the flange/nipple coming from the tank.

Since the induction tanks aren't really plastic, in a bucket or PVC sense, but rather a resin, I'd rather use s/s. Perhaps a fool and his money, none the less, I want to go from resin to stainless. Any help?

Thanks!

Since the induction tanks aren't really plastic, in a bucket or PVC sense, but rather a resin, I'd rather use s/s. Perhaps a fool and his money, none the less, I want to go from resin to stainless. Any help?

Thanks!

The expression Resin, is just an industry term for plastic in a form ready to shoot into a mold.

The retail industry often misuses the term solely as a marketing gimmick because they assume that people don't have all the negative emotions about the word resin as compared to plastic.

Sanitary fitting on your fermenter, to a Butterfly valve, to sanitary fitting to whatever you are capturing your yeast cake in. The butterfly valve will have been on your fermenter all along and you will have prior cleaned and capped it. So you are removing the end cap from a sanitary fitting and exposing it all to your collection vessel.

So, down at the valve, the process looks like this:
1.) Pop the end cap off the sanitary fitting on your fermenter
2.) Spritz with Star San.
3.) Dump in to your colelction vessle by opening the butterfly valve (slowly).
4.) Close the valve and re-cover with an end cap.
You are done.

you could rig your fermenter with the appropriate size fitting to take advantage of the cut little shperical collector that Vvessel sells and just use that.

One thing you might consider doing when ever you dump trub or yeast is to back fill the fermenter with CO2 and close off the Air lock. OT affix to the air lock opening a HEPA filter to let clean air into the fermenter.

Lots of folks just clean the openings gaskets and hardware with a spritz of Star San and let air in when they dump. I am pretty sure that the possibility of infection is almost nil at that point on the brewing process absent you doing something that is both out of the ordinary and also risky.

EXCEPT:
I have a question.
What kind of fermenter is also an induction brewing vessel?
You did say it was an "induction/conical" And as an aside what induction cook surface have you got? Is it three phase or single?

EXCEPT:
I have a question.
What kind of fermenter is also an induction brewing vessel?
You did say it was an "induction/conical" And as an aside what induction cook surface have you got? Is it three phase or single?

I think he's talking about the mdpe inductor tanks that can be used as conical fermenters. Similar to this:

http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=854

In the process of getting my induction/conical tanks fitted out and wondering what those with experience would suggest as the best combination of valving, etc for the bottom dump.

I'll be going from 1.5" FPT (fully draining tank).

What valves fittings would you suggest in what order, I'm especially curious about the advantages of a butterfly v. ball valve.

Whether to go straight to a 90* (or 45*?), then a valve, or valve first, or two valves...you get the idea!

Assume s/s and tri-clover sanitary fittings thoughout when possible.

Thanks in advance!

I have the exact same tank, so I'll make sure you and I communicate thoroughly. I'm using schedule 80 pvc connections. We start with the 1.5" FPT on the tank, then I connected a 1.5" MPT x 1" FPT reducer bushing (PVC), then I connected a 1" short nipple, then I connected a 1" brass ball valve. I dump it straight down. I can siphon or pump into the keg or bottles. I can also install a rotating racking arm on the side, too. Check out my thread I got going on this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/15-gallon-plastic-conical-design-163728/

I got two references to webpages on that thread that you should check out.

Hey Tyler,

I looked at that website that you got your Induction tank from and can't find them at all. Do you have a link or something I can use?

Thanks for the tips on the valving.

Why is butterfly better than ball? What's the dif?

Back