Preboil Volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireRescueFL

Reaction score
Doing my first AG tomorrow, also first full boil. How many gallons do you typically start with for a 60 min boil to end up with 5 gallons? Rough estimate to get me headed in the right direction is fine. Thanks!

---Chris

As many will say, depends on your altitude and how strong a boil you are having (stove or propane burner?). I tend to collect 6 to 6 1/2 gallons for a boil.

I would aim for 6 1/2 gallons. Means more water to sparge with, and you can give it a stronger boil if you need to.

Remember, if you are using Pilsner grain, you want a 90min boil. And if you happen to boil off more water than you were expecting you can always add some more afterwords.

Always remember when you measure volume at close to boil temp. it will be 4% less when cooled to 65-70F due to expansion/contraction between the 2 temperature extremes. Hope this helps!! Cheers!!!

I didn't mean evaporation, that should average 5-15%/hr. I am saying, if you take a pot of water, lets say we measure 6 gals. of 210F water, then cool it to 68F without ever boiling it. there will be 4% less volume because the original 210F measure was at its expanded state. So your almost 1 quart less without even boiling yet. Cheers!!!

Doing my first AG tomorrow, also first full boil. How many gallons do you typically start with for a 60 min boil to end up with 5 gallons? Rough estimate to get me headed in the right direction is fine. Thanks!

---Chris

I have a wide 8 gallon pot which fits over two burners on my kitchen stove. I loose over 2 gallons during the boil. I guess it is because I have both burners at full blast, but this is the only way I can achieve a rolling boil. My first all grain batch ended up at 4.5 gallons into the primary and I was was aiming for 5.5. I guess I am saying that results will vary based on equipment and so on. :cross:

Commercial boil-off rates are closer to 5-10&/hr, even with steam. Your getting 25% thats a tad high. I would assume you would have one hell of a rolling boil to get 25%. Is this in a 1 hour boil?? I think for home brewers its so easy to have a high btu/hr to volume ratio compared to large commercial direct-fired kettles. I have a 250,000 btu burner for my 240 gal. kettle, and get full, hard rolling boils that i have to even cut-back the gas to not have a boil-over, but still only get about 5-7%/hr boil-off rate. Most commercial systems require a minumum of 1000btu/hr per gal. in kettle size. I'm amazed you can't fanagle the two burners to have a good hard boil without loosing 25%. You may get some increased maillard reactions with 25% , which would darken wort more and may increase it's caramel tones, which would be good in some styles, like bock,doppelbock,scotch,etc. Is this electric or gas, if so how many btu/hr burners do you have? Hope this helps!! Cheers!!!

I usually start with 6.5 - 7 gallons and end up with 5 to six gallons from a 60 min boil. Works well for me

Commercial boil-off rates are closer to 5-10&/hr, even with steam. Your getting 25% thats a tad high. I would assume you would have one hell of a rolling boil to get 25%. Is this in a 1 hour boil?? I think for home brewers its so easy to have a high btu/hr to volume ratio compared to large commercial direct-fired kettles. I have a 250,000 btu burner for my 240 gal. kettle, and get full, hard rolling boils that i have to even cut-back the gas to not have a boil-over, but still only get about 5-7%/hr boil-off rate. Most commercial systems require a minumum of 1000btu/hr per gal. in kettle size. I'm amazed you can't fanagle the two burners to have a good hard boil without loosing 25%. You may get some increased maillard reactions with 25% , which would darken wort more and may increase it's caramel tones, which would be good in some styles, like bock,doppelbock,scotch,etc. Is this electric or gas, if so how many btu/hr burners do you have? Hope this helps!! Cheers!!!

It is a gas stove. The only thing I can think of is that it takes what seems like forever to get to a boil.

Latest posts

Back