Pre-Sanitizing and Storing Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
In the past I sanitized right before bottling, but given that I'm now brewing at a friend's house this may not be convienient.

I've seen that some people sanitize their bottles and store them in a box so that they're ready to go at a moment's notice. Any tips on this?

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1) Sanitize bottles with iodophor and let air dry
2) seal with small patch of aluminum foil
3) place in sanitized rubbermaid box with lid

Sound right? Any suggestions on box type or anything else would be most welcome.

Moon

I used to try this. I would line the bottom of an empty case with aluminum foil. Wash and sanitize the bottles and place them upside down in the case. Close the top of the case and tape shut. It worked pretty well. Eventually the foil would start to break down and stick to the tops of the bottles. You may want to try saran wrap instead of foil, or change the foil out after each use. Now, I keg. When I do bottle, I'll clean and sanitize just before bottling.

yep... sanitary liner on the bottom of the box, clean the bottles, and dry upside down in the closed box.

Its ideal to wash them right before you use them tho....

What do you mean by sanitary liner?

Hopefully we'd be sanitizing bottles no more than a week in advance of actual bottling.

well if you clean your bottles and put them in a plain cardboard box upside down...the lips of all of the bottles will be unsanitary. You need to lay something relatively clean down like aluminum foil or plastic wrap...to cover up the cardboard

If you use your sanitizing jet to clean out the bottles and then load them upside down in the box while they are still draining/drying, then the sanitizer coming out of the bottles will sanitize the aluminum foil/saran wrap on the bottom of the box.

Be careful not to let too much sanitizer drip out though as the bottom of you box will get very wet and could break while moving the case (I know this from experience). You may want to tape the bottom of the box up as well, just to be safe.

Saran Wrap, something to tighten it around the mouth of the bottle.

I suggest rubber bands.

If it works for ****take cultures, it'll work for this. :rockin:

I sterilize all my bottles in the oven at 350* for at least an hour, then cover with aluminum foil that was in the oven too, store for weeks before bottling. That way, I can sterilize as I drink, when I hit an oven-full, run a batch, sterilize, cover, and have ready for bottling.

sirsloop said:
well if you clean your bottles and put them in a plain cardboard box upside down...the lips of all of the bottles will be unsanitary. You need to lay something relatively clean down like aluminum foil or plastic wrap...to cover up the cardboard

Well, I was thinking of putting them in a sanitized Rubbermaid box.

Jon_Doe said:
Saran Wrap, something to tighten it around the mouth of the bottle.

I suggest rubber bands.

If it works for ****take cultures, it'll work for this. :rockin:

I wouldnt do this... the saran wrap may seal residual moisture in the bottle. Sanitizer or not, I would think this could lead to fungal growth.

Latest posts

Back