Pre-planning Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpolug

Reaction score
In an effort to pre plan as much as possible, I was wondering what people have on hand in addition to the general brew kit. Obviously a can opener is not listed in an extract kit but you will need one. So what else do I need but wont realize I need until I start brewing?

Sanitizer, grain bags, hop bags, thermometer, ice, extra top off water... stuff....

and if this is your first brew and you have an espically inquisitive SWMBO and kids... then you'll need a few bucks to send them to the movies so you can get some peace and quiet

not sure what the kit will come with but some things that are less obvious:

rolling pin and large plastic zip lock bags for crushing specialty grain if the kit uses it.

lots of ice, i have 2 dozen 1/2 liter water bottles i freeze.

good measuring tools, thermometer (something better than the turkey fryer type), big measuring cup, hydrometer, medicine dropper (for sanitizer) and a note book to write down everything your measure as well as dates and other details.

clean trash barrel or the cheap large plastic buckets with the rope handles are good for a water bath to help control fermentation temps if its warm in your area.

extra pot to boil water and/or preboiled water.

big funnel with a screen and/or an auto siphon.

big smooth plastic spoon for stirring.

star san or iodiphor (star san costs a bit more but it doesnt stain things and also helps cleaning)
oxiclean free (regular oxi clean has fragrance in it)

turkey baster or something similar for taking samples from fermenter for measuring and tasting.

an extra packet of dry yeast just in case.

lots of beer in brown bottles of your choice. you only got 3 weeks to come up with 50 or so bottles.

Two spray bottles, one with water to prevent boil overs and another with sanitizer for quick sanitizing. Als be sure to lable them to prevent mixing them up. Obvously it shouldn't be hard to distinguish the two if you are using Idophor.

Way to go fun killer! :(

I know, I know, I am a horrible person that ruins the best laid plans..... :D

But I am ok with that, because I have beer:mug:

As far as otherthings you need, I second the hop bag, ice, and a bucket of star san with a rag.

Back