Pre-heating extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
I've never seen anyone suggest it, so I don't know if it's a bad idea or not. But it seemed like a great idea so I tried it yesterday and I think it worked great. I used the microwave while I was waiting for my boil to get to the late extract time (if I'd thought of it sooner I would have done it with the first addition while my boil water was heating up). I started with one minute at full power, let it sit for 10-15 minutes then another minute, let it sit, etc. After 2-3 times it was getting warm and thin enough that I could easily stir it with a knife to even the temperature out. I got it up to about 150° before I added it, and it made a noticeable difference in how long it took the boil to come back. Plus, it poured right out like nothing.

I've put jars of extract in hot water baths, mainly to make it easier to get the stuff out.

Never tried a microwave. I used to put them in warm water for a bit in winter time. Lately I just squeeze out what I can and then pick up some of the hot water and swirl.. Careful not to burn your fingers though :)

When I was extract brewing, I would heat water to about 140 and put the LME bottle/bucket in that for about 5-6 minutes and then take it out and reheat the water back to temp and put it back in until it was the consistency I liked. I would think the microwave would change the taste and possibly make it a little burnt around the edges.

I heat a small pot of water at low temp and put the extract in there while I am steeping grains. I saw this in the DVD I got from midwest supplies.

. . . I used the microwave . . .

i've done it with the 3.3 lb cans that come with the brewer's best kits. i put a small hole in the top with a church key, then set it in a large pot of water on the stove under medium heat. i prop the can up on a fork so the heat doesn't build up under the bottom.
by the time my grain steep is done and the water is up to boil, the malt syrup is hot and thin enough to pour with 4 or 5 large holes punched in the other side of the top. then i run some hot water through it a couple times to flush out all the malt.

I would think the microwave would change the taste and possibly make it a little burnt around the edges.

It didn't boil or burn on the edges at all. But if you just put it in for 5 or ten minutes I'm sure it would. That's why at first I did it for a very short time with a long time in between to allow the heat to become distributed. Once it thinned down a bit I could easily stir it up to even the temp out.

Back