Pre-bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smartpart04

Reaction score
I currently have a brew in it's secondary fermentor but before I can bottle it, I need to transport it about 30 minutes because I moved. Is this acceptable or should I try to avoid moving the carboy?

I suppose the biggest danger on the move will be splashing which will in turn introduce oxygen into your beer before bottling. If it is possible to bottle in place and then move it, that is the route I would choose, IMHO.

Smartpart04 said:
I currently have a brew in it's secondary fermentor but before I can bottle it, I need to transport it about 30 minutes because I moved. Is this acceptable or should I try to avoid moving the carboy?

Don't worry. Just move it. Or could be a good time to start kegging.

It would be ideal to bottle it before moving but if you can't it probably won't do any harm.

If your bottling bucket has a top, I'd rack to it before moving to avoid disturbing the trub. Bottling first is the best option.

I'd just bottle it asap after the move,& having had a chance to re-settle. O2 barrier caps might be a good idea as well,they're only about a dollar more for the same number of caps as regular.

Personally I would bottle it before moving, even driving carefully is probably going to slosh it around quite a bit in the bucket/carboy.

If you can avoid moving it that's certainly better. But there are a few things to watch out for.

- Beer getting light struck(Skunked) - Keep it out of the sun while moving, so keep it under a blanket or something.

- Beer getting oxidized - After sitting in the secondary it's going to ferment out a tiny bit so there should be a layer of CO2 on top of the beer. This is going to keep oxygent from getting in there and making your beer gross. When you move it and shake it around you risk introducing more oxygen. So I'd say either don't move it or if you have access to some co2, spray some in there and cap the carboy for transport.

Sediment getting stirred up - Regardless you'll want to let the beer sit for a while before racking to a bottling bucket as to leave as much sediment as you can behind.

If you can swing it, you'll be better off bottling and then moving the bottled beer. But if you're careful you can make it work. Good luck!

Back