Prank on a friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-roc

Reaction score
I have a friend who really likes the beers I make but says they always have "floaters" as he calls it. The bits of yeast on the bottom. Its not any more than any bottle conditioned beer. I tell him to pour it in a mug and he continues to drink it out of the bottle. So when I was bottling my stout last night I had the last bottle half full instead of drinking it like we all do. I noticed the carboy had some dregs and about a half a bottle of beer in it. I poured it into the beer capped it and today it has about 2 inches of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. I plan to surprise him with it some night after the sun is down and hes had a few. I don't know when I'll get my chance to lay it on him but would there be any problems with that much yeast in the bottle like the dreaded "off flavors?" yeast autolysis or something else I don't know about? I don't want anything unusual to mess up the joke.

I don't see any problems. If he drinks the dregs already, his bowels have already gone through their "adjustment period". He is just going to get a pretty nasty tasting beer!

Just be sure fermentation was complete and priming sugar was right on. Otherwise I see a bottle bomb in your future. If it doesn't explode, your buddy will. :)

im not sure its going to act as a laxative...

he might have more than average gas a couple hours after and while sleeping during the night. than maybe the beer ****s the next morning

I think it should be the last beer you give him. I don't force my beers on people who complain about them.

So thats why that keeps happening to me the morning after some good drinking. I never knew about this and I've been making beer for a while now. There needs to be some warnings about this, a sticky maybe. I just wanted to give him a mouthful of yeast but if hes gonna crap his pants even better.

Wait what is this adjustment period your talking about

If someone doesn't drink a lot of unfiltered beer, their bodies aren't used to the extra dose of LIVE yeast that they take in. This leads to gassiness and some interesting lower gastrointestinal effects. After a while of drinking live beer, (after this "adjustment period"), a homebrew drinker's body adjusts to this extra intake of live organisms, and we no longer get those effects. It sounds like your buddy has adjusted to live beer, so the effects won't be as extreme as they would be if you fed a BMC drinker a bottle full of yeast.

Just make sure YOU don't have a road trip scheduled with him the next morning after you serve him the chosen one.....if so, you'll be catchin' the foul end of this prank with the windows rolled down the whole way!

Either he's gonna have some seriosu gas within the hour and you are BOTH going to suffer or he's going to spew that mouthful of vitamins all over the rug.

My bets are that he's going to swig it in, note the bready character, and feel boosted in the morning from all the vitamins.

Back