Power up my grain mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaner1082

Reaction score
Ive been using my malt mill for a few batches now and wanna make it easier to use. my power drills won't turn it. Has anyone ever rigged up one of these to an electric motor? What kinda horse power does it take to power my mill?

My $20 corded drill turns mine just fine.

Motor is probably overkill unless you're doing some seriously large batches, often.

If you want to motorize it, I've seen quite few folks that use 1/4 Hp 120VAC motors that turn at 1725RPM. You have to put a pretty small pulley on the motor and a large pulley on the shaft of the grain mill to reduce the speed down to 100-200 RPM.

Are you trying to start it after the hopper is already full of grain? I don't have any first hand experience with home grain mills, but I do know it is harder to stall an already moving motor than it is to keep one from starting in the first place.

Are you trying to start it after the hopper is already full of grain? I don't have any first hand experience with home grain mills, but I do know it is harder to stall an already moving motor than it is to keep one from starting in the first place.

Tried to do it with it already turning but it still stalled. But it's only the 2-row, the more roasted malts go thru good

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My battery powered drill won't turn my Monster mill but my corded dewalt does just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1for the Harbor freight drill. I have a cheap heavy duty variable speed drill that does the trick, but I have to turn it way faster than it should go. That low speed one will work much better. More powerful and geared for lower rpm.

I picked up the Harbor Freight low speed drill today. I'm planning on using it Sunday with my Captain Crush.

Neither my dewalt 3/8" chorded or my Harbor Freight impact drill (set on non impact) would do a decent job. I had to get it going and trickle the grains in to get by. Both of them ended up smoking at one point in the process. :-(

I'll let you all know how my new one works out. By the way, it doesn't show on the web, but the box indicates it is 0-550 RPM.

Latest posts

Back