power regulator vs. traditional PID question -- Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im in the process of converting to electric from propane and am a little lost on the element controllers. I've set out to build a back to back HERMS system and from previous posts i've settled on getting a Auber DSPR300 for my BK.

Now, there seems to be a lot of scattered discussion on the use a DSPR300 power regulator or a more traditional PID like a Auber SYL-2352 to control the HLT containing the HERMS coil. So, im attempting to get some feedback on what you all think, especially someone who is using a DSPR300 to control a HERMS setup.

A DSPR120 will control an HLT as well or better than a PID and is close in price to the SYL-2352.

Brew on :mug:

yes, it will control it but is it the best option for a HERMS setup. I stumbled upon a video by Short Circuited Brewers, where Brian says a PID is better for HERMS because of more adjustment options and better more accurate parameters than a power regulator. Does anyone know if this is true or not or if the tech has changed one way to the other?

yes, it will control it but is it the best option for a HERMS setup. I stumbled upon a video by Short Circuited Brewers, where Brian says a PID is better for HERMS because of more adjustment options and better more accurate parameters than a power regulator. Does anyone know if this is true or not or if the tech has changed one way to the other?
The ezboil works better to control temps than a pid... It uses a different algorithm and compensates very quickly to keep temps more stable with less overshoot... Pids work great is the conditions are calibrated for and always the same.
Of course you have to be whirlpooling or have something constantly stirring the hlt for this to work well anyway or the temps will not be very stable. At least thats how mine worked before I went to rims.

If I remember right the 120 and 300 will work the same, one just has additional relay features to turn on or off alarms or devices at certain temps. I used mine to start the separate timer once the boil temp was reached.

The EzBoils have two modes: temp hold, and fixed power output. For boiling, you use the fixed power output. For mashing you use the temp hold mode. It's true that PID's have more adjustment settings, but these often cause more trouble than they are worth (for folks who aren't familiar with control therory) when trying to achieve stable response. The EzBoils are inherently more stable in brewing applications due to a different control algorithm than PID's. PID's are in fact a very old technology (they were originally analog), that doesn't take advantage of the cheap computing power that is now available. A PID will work fine for a HERMS application, once you get it tuned correctly. But, if I were to set up a HERMS, I'd use the EzBoil.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back