power outage, cold beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_r_g

Reaction score
We did up a batch of beer from a partial grain craft beer kit. It was in the fermentor for 9 days, we were going to bottle it the following weekend. Unfortunately, we had an ice storm which knocked out the power for three days. The temperature dropped to about 45-50 degrees F. With the power restored today, I checked and there is no activity at all, but the beer tastes fine, and otherwise seems ok. My question is about bottling. We planned to bulk prime and bottle, but would the beer carbonate? Should we add anything or do anything to it before bottling? Any advice would be welcome.

What does the gravity look like now, is it close to the target FG? If it's still higher, then you probably haven't finished fermenting because of the temp drop.

Either way, I'd feel safer if I pitched new yeast and then did gravity tests to see if it drops or is stable, first to make sure the primary ferment is done (to protect against bottle bombs) and to make sure there is yeast available for the in-bottle carbonation.

Likely it is done and the yeast is just dormant, but for the cost of a packet of yeast, you can be certain you're not bottling dead beer.

Check your gravity. If it's at what the kit calls for, go ahead and bottle. Many of us cold crash to ~32 prior to bottling with no ill effects, with the exception of maybe a few more days to reach full carb. Unless you froze the carboy, I wouldn't be too worried.

What Bruce said, what's the gravity?

After 9 days, I'll bet you're done, and the drop in temperature is just cold crashing. :)

And that FG is important; if there's a lot of unfermented sugar left in the beer, you may see bottle bombs.

The reading was 1.021, we bottle in two days, I will check again beforehand. I lean towards simply bottling and hoping it all turns out, and it's our first brew in many years. Thanks for the input!

The reading was 1.021, we bottle in two days, I will check again beforehand. I lean towards simply bottling and hoping it all turns out, and it's our first brew in many years. Thanks for the input!

If that is close to what it was supposed to be, I agree. If it is more than .005 high be concerned about potential bottle bombs if you bottle.

If that is close to what it was supposed to be, I agree. If it is more than .005 high be concerned about potential bottle bombs if you bottle.

Yes, that is a concern. I was able to spent the extra set up money without the wife getting to upset, if a bunch of beer grenades start going off in the house, her attitude towards this endeavour may change.

Don't bottle at 1.021!

What was the recipe, and what are you checking gravity with? Hydrometer or refractometer?

Put the bottles in a covered Rubbermaid tote while they condition, just to be safe. And by safe i mean: if you get a bottle bomb and it's contained, she may never know. :D

Don't bottle at 1.021!

What was the recipe, and what are you checking gravity with? Hydrometer or refractometer?

No, we won't bottle at that. I am using a hydrometer to check gravity. So far, the reading dropped from 1.021 to 1.020. I will wait until we stop getting lower readings. The instructions say not to bottle unless gravity is 1.020 or lower. The guy at the brew shop suggested shaking the carboy up, is that advice sound?

I wouldn't go with 'shaking' but I'd definitely swirl the yeast back into suspension to get it back to work. What temperature is the carboy now? Did it warm up? I'd get it to the 68-70 degree range after swirling it up.

I wouldn't go with 'shaking' but I'd definitely swirl the yeast back into suspension to get it back to work. What temperature is the carboy now? Did it warm up? I'd get it to the 68-70 degree range after swirling it up.

Yeah, its up to about 67 now, and climbing, the room has been heating up for about a day. So a swirl to move the yeast around, huh? Ok, I'll do that.

Back