Power Connectors 30 amps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm working on some small control panels just to goof around and see what works and what I like as far as switches, buttons, PIDs etc and I'm at the point where I need to figure out my high power connections.

Here's what I'm seeing as the two options:

Neutrik Powercon 32a:
Plug NAC3MP-HC
70088413.jpg

Panel NAC3MP-HC
70088414.jpg

Ouch $32 a pair.

Of course, the more common way to go is Nema L6-30

They are all over the place new and used and you can easily get a pair for under $20 if you look. The one downside I see is the size of the panel mount receptacle. It's just so darn big if you're trying to build a compact controller.

Is there any other 250v/30a plug/panel mount that is more compact that I'm missing?

Bobby, lots of people are using the Switchcraft option as well, i bit cheaper, but the same size.

I will be using them for my power cable to the element, so that it can be disconnected at each end.

Furthermore, I will be buying your weldless option element enclosure, and fitting the panel mount into the end of it.

Tim

Those Neutriks are great although not intended for hot swapping. For that reason I would rather put them on the panel than on the vessel.

There is also the option of NEMA 6-30 I suppose although these are physically even bigger than NEMA L6-30.

Using Switchcraft speaker connectors for power lines is a hack.

Those Neutriks are great although not intended for hot swapping. For that reason I would rather put them on the panel than on the vessel.

There is also the option of NEMA 6-30 I suppose although these are physically even bigger than NEMA L6-30.

Using Switchcraft speaker connectors for power lines is a hack.

10/3 SOOW Neoprene-Jacketed Power Cable is 10g correct?

I haven't seen them mentioned on this site before, but I used Anderson Power Pole connectors. They aren't water proof if that's a concern for you. My control box isn't either so I wasn't worried about it as I only used them on the control side.

They have contacts rated for up to 45 amps.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/housings-contacts/

I think I payed $3.90 a set (6 housing and 6 contacts).

I've worked with the switchcraft HPC in the past on some large scale audio (Polo Field PA) and they scare me at the kind of current we're talking about. After 10 or so connect/disconnect cycles, they were giving me connection problems and I even found that some of the contacts got bent out of place during connection. For sure the price is right, but if I ever took the box commercial, I wouldn't be able to trust them. It's a shame, they are rated to 1500v / 50a but I'm just not buying that current rating.

Alien, I don't think I'd want to hot swap anything no matter what. The interesting thing is that they label the panel mount as the "power in" and the cord end plug as "power out". If they weren't so damned expensive, it would be nice to put the panel mount on the vessel box and on the controller and just use male/male cords as patch cable. It doesn't look like the contacts are exposed, but I haven't seen one in my hands yet.

@Bobby The powercon 20A connectors come in different colours for power in and power out, I'm a bit surprised the 32A ones don't.

@schrod I have Anderson SB series connectors on a battery charger but they are only 2 pole. Which ones are you using exactly?

I love my Switchcraft connectors. Barely got the 10/3 SOOW into the ends, but a bit of oil helps.

I know they are super expensive but if you can find a deal on them - Hubbel twist lock water tight connectors are really built - like a brick **** house - like you can run over them with a truck (ask me how I know)....

While I've never tried, you can apparently submerge them in water and run current through them.

I used them a lot way way back when there were several million dollars worth of water cooled IBM mainframes running a few feet above them in machine rooms (now called data centers).

@schrod I have Anderson SB series connectors on a battery charger but they are only 2 pole. Which ones are you using exactly?

I'm using the PP15/30/45 housing and the PP45 contacts.

They slide together so you can build up whatever configuration you need. Here is what mine looks like (pardon the crappy construction, the box was salvaged from the trash...)

80969f7b-d730-493b-9742-6a4e62ba74f8.jpg

The recessed (not flanged) L6-30 receptacles are compact. If you need it splash resistant a bead of silicone around the hole would do it. I think it looks cleaner than the flanged receptacle if you cut your hole nice.

37 mm H x 32 mm W x 40.5 mm D for the Powercon 32A chassis connector
63 mm H x 40.9 W x 32.5 mm D for the L6-30R if you trim the brass ears.

Bobby_M said:
The interesting thing is that they label the panel mount as the "power in" and the cord end plug as "power out". If they weren't so damned expensive, it would be nice to put the panel mount on the vessel box and on the controller and just use male/male cords as patch cable. It doesn't look like the contacts are exposed, but I haven't seen one in my hands yet.

I would think a male/male power cord would be pretty dangerous. If the thing is live, you'd basically be holding a 240v cattle prod.

I would think a male/male power cord would be pretty dangerous. If the thing is live, you'd basically be holding a 240v cattle prod.

I would like to think that if most of us are smart enough to brew beer, then we should be smart enough to not connect the power cable while the source is live....

I am doing just like Bobby has mentioned, female panel mounts at the element and control box, with a male power cable. I like to think that I shold be safe....

Tim

In the typical NEMA connectors that would be true but the contacts are well recessed in both the male and female plugs on these types of connectors.

HPC-C4F.JPG

I'm not sold on the idea but it's not as dangerous as it sounds.

When I see some of the power connectors pictured in brewers control panels, I have some concerns about whether they are as safe and reliable as they need to be for brewing applications.

Some folks tend to focus on the electrical specifications for the connectors, and like them for their compact design and the way they fit well in a control panel.

If the connector you choose is rated for the appropriate current and the supply voltage, then no problem.

Some of the connectors being used have wire terminals with minimal clearances between the energized conductors and the contact mating surfaces. To me, these look like a short circuit just waiting to happen.

If these connectors are used with cabling in a system that never gets twisted, tugged, or stressed, they might be OK. My brewing area isn't like that. Is yours?

The mechanical characteristics of some of the connector systems appear inadequate compared to to the traditional NEMA designs that have been in use for years.

The traditional NEMA power connectors have good strain relief systems, wire connections that are widely separated, and robust contact mating systems.

Just my $.02 on panel construction.

Back