Powder coated keggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the (slow) process of building a Kal clone eHERMS set up with three keggles. I've got a friend who does powder coating and while we were talking the other day he offered to powder coat the keggles. He says he's got a coating that looks like chrome or polished SS.

So, would this work? Since it'll be an electric set up there wouldn't be any open flame scorching the keggles. Is there any issues with the seals on the weld less bulkhead fittings?

Anybody have any experience in doing this?

Thanks & cheers!

So...just polishing the kegs isn't an option?

IMAG0437.jpg

Effin' gorgeous...

[Photo credit to Im Lars]

Cheers!

Yeah, I've been working on that but it's a bit of a PITA! Guess I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of powder coating... (Sorry, don't know why this pic loaded sideways)

image.jpg

I guess if I was going to do powder coating, I'd make it something different than the stainless look. A glossy black, Crimson Red, or something that really pops (bright yellow?) would really set it apart from anything else out there.

I guess if I was going to do powder coating, I'd make it something different than the stainless look. A glossy black, Crimson Red, or something that really pops (bright yellow?) would really set it apart from anything else out there.
Same here. If your friend can keep the dust from going inside the keg and it getting baked on I would go for it in a heartbeat. I'd remove all valves/fittings and plug somehow.

Same here. If your friend can keep the dust from going inside the keg and it getting baked on I would go for it in a heartbeat. I'd remove all valves/fittings and plug somehow.

The kegs are only cut & don't yet have the hardware installed so now would the time to do it.

Any thoughts on the durability? Realizing the coating would pretty thin, would there be any potential issues with cracking either due to the heating/cooling or from getting bumped around while cleaning?

I had exhaust on a bike coated in high temp and it held up good. It will scratch over time and it's not bulltproof, but far better than any paint. I'd do it just to do it if price was reasonable. I want to coat my beer stand, but I know the top won't hold up to metal on metal contact. Still tempted though since the other 90% will look great for years and clean up easier. Just need to call a local guy to get a cost. Toss in some metal flake to really make it stand out. (seriously considering that also) :tank:

Back