Povidone Iodine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
I've been using bleach for sanitizing but just started kegging and read not to use it for SS.Can i use this "Povodone Iodine 10% Solution" as an iodofor(sp?)substitute?If so,then at what concentration(dilution) and is it no rinse?Also,is PBW a sanitizer or just a cleaner?
Thanks.
Cheers:mug:

Iodophor is just a sanitizer. You will need BLC or (i think its star san.) I use BLC because the star san left little granuals. It never messed with the taste, just weirded me out a little. I get both here www.superprod.com

I am thinking about using it when my current stock runs out. The Iodine solution I'm using now is 1.5 %. If you check yours it will probably say 1% available iodine mine does so I figured I could dilute 3 oz. to 5 gallons of water and that would make the same solution as 2 oz. to 5 Gal. of the 1.5% solution.

lost and nkonkie
Thanks for the info fellas.
nkonkie
Do you(or will you)rinse when you use iodine?Also does the color fade at that concentration?The stuff is VERY red.Thanks again.
Cheers:mug:

lostforatime said:
Iodophor is just a sanitizer. You will need BLC or (i think its star san.) I use BLC because the star san left little granuals. It never messed with the taste, just weirded me out a little. I get both here www.superprod.com

You mean PBW not Star-San, right? PBW is a powder and BLC is basically a liquid form of PBW, both of which are cleaners. Star-San is a concentrated, no-rinse liquid sanitizer.

The color does lighten when it's diluted. But the Iodine solution I got from the LHBS stained the inside of one of my coolers. As far as a rinse afterward the instruction say to air dry, rinsing would probably negate the sanitation. I place sanitized parts in a sanitized bucket and cover. And I turn my carboys and fermentation buckets upside down to dry.

Don't know what you are washing with but I found Oxy Clean Free at the wal-mart today. I have been using regular Oxy Clean but the Free has no fragance or color added. From what I understand it's a whole lot cheaper that PBW.

I have also decided to stop using Iodized salt and get salt that is not Iodized from now on to compensate for any Iodine I might be ingesting.

Back